Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Flatning Primers and Blowing out Primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Bronze Member

Flatning Primers and Blowing out Primers

I am currently working up a load for my dads savage model 12fv, chambered in .22-250. The gun is extremely accurate, on multiple trips with variety of loads .37 inch groups and smaller are very common. However the gun does have one problem, it keeps flatting and blowing out primers. I have tried reducing the loads in .5 grain increments, and this has not worked. I have triple checked to make sure that I am getting correct O.A.L. length measurements of the guns chamber. So after kicking around several ideas I think at this point I'm going to try seating the bullets deeper than what I normally do. Normally when testing ammunition in a rifle I always start at .010 of the lands, and until now I have not had a problem with it, and maybe this isn't why the primers are flatting out but it's the best I know to do at this point. Do any of you guys have a better idea???
Old 01-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Flatning Primers and Blowing out Primers

Have you chrono'd the loads?

What bullet weight/powder type and charge?

What brand of primer?

Do you know for sure the primer pockets of the case are not enlarged?

Are your cases FL sized to the extent that they are actually moving forward at the strike of the fireing pin.?? Sometimes that can be the case even when loads aren't too hot. Excessive headspace in the chamber can account for this. Also, FL sizeing as per the die instructions can do this; especially when the chamber is a little long or large.

The pin strikes, driving the case as far forward in the chamber as it can go. Then the bullet is no longer .010 from the lands. The pressure tries to blow the primer back (and actually does) because the case head is no longer butted up against the boltface. When the pressure forces the case rearward enough to seat the primer again, it's already been flattened.

I can't say if that is the case in your particular situation, but I've seen it happen.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Gold Member

Define "blowing out primers". The primer falls out of a fired case, it's blanked, or it stands proud of the case head?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

I would suspect that if its not an over pressure thing, then the primer pocket might be too large. If there has been multiple re-loads on these particular pieces of brass then you might have a streched out primer pocket issue. Is there a consistant pressure and "tightness" when you are priming the cases or do they just slip right in? You can do a crude test by priming a case and then tapping the rim on the table a little to see if the seating of the primer has changed at all or is loosened. you could also measure it if you have capabilities of doing so.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

Are you using old winchester ball powder, I hear it can get a little ripe with age.

Is your firing pin still nicely hemispherical?

+1 for short full length sizing, and or long chamber/excessive head space.

Check head space issue, change powder and primer.

I once loaded some ammo for an 18" barreled auto rifle, picked up another in the same caliber only 24" barrel. Many stuck cases, and fiddling with the load. I couldn't get the powder charge low enough, new powder by the way. Had to switch to a totally different powder. The powder was too much for the long barrel.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog50 View Post
I am currently working up a load for my dads savage model 12fv, chambered in .22-250. The gun is extremely accurate, on multiple trips with variety of loads .37 inch groups and smaller are very common. However the gun does have one problem, it keeps flatting and blowing out primers. I have tried reducing the loads in .5 grain increments, and this has not worked. I have triple checked to make sure that I am getting correct O.A.L. length measurements of the guns chamber. So after kicking around several ideas I think at this point I'm going to try seating the bullets deeper than what I normally do. Normally when testing ammunition in a rifle I always start at .010 of the lands, and until now I have not had a problem with it, and maybe this isn't why the primers are flatting out but it's the best I know to do at this point. Do any of you guys have a better idea???
take a handfull of cases that you resized, but are not primed. Now check the pockets with a primer pocket tool. If the pockets are oversized the tool will drop right in. Now is a good time to check the depth as well. The primer should be close to .005" under the face of the case head. Now is also a good time to run a small sewing machine needle thru the flash holes to see if there is an obstruction. Lastly (I know this is crazy); how big is the flash hole? I've seen some brass that had an oversized flash hole in the past. Also, by chance are you using a bushing die?

as for a good load to start with in your Savage; try this:
Sierra #1365 bullet seated .003" off the lands
IMR 3031 powder @ 35.5 grains
Federal primer

this load will print in the twos with three Savage 22-250's, and one would print in the .180". The load is good for about 37.0 grains, but 35.5 to 36.0 grains seems to be the sweet spot. There are no pressure signs, but you will notice the chamber pressure building up. The bullet is critcal with the 1:12 twist rate!
glt
Old 01-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

"Are you using old winchester ball powder, I hear it can get a little ripe with age."

The crap we can hear is incredible, especially on the world wide web of wanna be experts who got the straght skinny from a guy who's neighbor once heard from a cousin that a fellow he worked with swore he had over heard in a bar in Montanna that Winchester ball powders get a little ripe with age. Forget it, there is very little difference.