Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Fixing bullet runout?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Gold Member

Re: Fixing bullet runout?

You can take the expander/decapper out of a regular FL die. In order to decap, you can get a decapper die or use the expander/decapper from a smaller caliber die.

You will just have to experiment and try this. You may have trouble because of too much neck tension since you are not expanding the neck back out to the size of the expander ball. Make sure you chamfer the inside of the case mouth real well and use boattail bullets. If there is too much neck tension you will feel with your press and that can cause runout as well.

If the necks are too tight you can turn the necks to thin them down, or get a comp type die with neck sizing collets.

I have used both types of dies with the process I described previously. The standard FL die works fine for me, but I am loading for a rifle with a tight neck and I turn the necks on my brass.

A little experimentation on your part is in order, but hey, thats the fun part [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Gold Member

Drew, most bushing style neck dies and comp dies (that I know of anyway) dont use an expander.The amount of resizing or bullet tension is set with different size bushings.Conventional dies use an expander because the neck is sized down much farther than it has to be.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Gold Member

Just some aditions to the good advice alreay given

While you wait for the bushing style dies and if neck tension is too high if you do not use the expander, deprime in a depriming die and loosen the expander nut a bit so that when you pull the case down the expander can adjust a little to the case axis.

You can also put an o ring in the base of the die and try with slight turns until you get the lowest run out.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:53 PM
SPONSOR

There is one tool called the Bersin tool which "fixes" bullet runout with loaded ammo.
I have one and have used with success to date.
At the same time realize there is no such thing as a free lunch. When fixing the runout you will change the neck tension somewhat. I can use any 308 class case on one side and then the 284 Win family on the other.
It both measures and corrects runout.
It is expensive but, I like it.
Best way to stay ahead of the punch is to follow good loading protocol as has been mentioned above and in other posts.
Even then you will still have runout, then you seperate the bad ones for fouling/sighters and rock shooting.
I like the Bersin, but I'm not sure if many use it.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Bronze Member

Hey all

Thanks much for the great info. I have lots to try and experiment with.

Drew
Old 12-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Gold Member

XP,
I do believe that the Bersin Tool fixes bullet "cant" not run out.
Run out can only be fixed by ensuring that the bore of neck and the case body diameter are on the same axis.

Ian.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
XP,
I do believe that the Bersin Tool fixes bullet "cant" not run out.
Run out can only be fixed by ensuring that the bore of neck and the case body diameter are on the same axis.

Ian.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree to some extent. Run out can be brought on by other means even if your brass is "perfect". Loading techniques, seating dies, etc. can all contribute to excessive run-out.

Also, I've never heard anyone refer to a misaligned bullet as being canted but, not having run-out. Run-out simply means the central axis of the bullet is misaligned w/ the central axis of the case and creating a loaded round that is not concentric.

These off centered rounds can be straightened by means other than a Bersin tool if you don't desire to go that route. A simple hole of the proper size drilled into a hardwood block works fine. A slight amount of pressure on the case while the bullet is inserted into this hole can straighten the round to an acceptable level. Notice I said slight pressure, if you are too rough w/ them you can effect neck tension greatly.

Good Luck

Reloader