Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

First time shoulder bumper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Bronze Member

Re: First time shoulder bumper

Wow, thanks a LOT for all your comments.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Bronze Member

There's one other question I should have probably asked, but which I aluded to earlier.

The question is WHEN does it become necessary to bump a shoulder? If a case has been fired 1 or 2 times, should it normally require bumping? Or would you expect it to be necessary to bump shoulders of cases that have been fired 3, 4 or more times?

Once again, thanks.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

The thing is, as brass is sized and re-sized over and over it work hardens and gets a certain amount of Spring Back. So both neck tension, and the shoulder both become inconsistent over time. This of course is very destructive to accuracy, but far too few people ever realize it.

So it is really about taking care of "that end of the brass" as it were. When you Neck Anneal, you also anneal that part of the shoulder. The shoulder is the lesser of the two really, but it CAN be important. Hence Shoulder bumping. If you choose to shoulder bump, then you should do it every time. Other wise you are introducing an inconsistency into your reloading process. What fj40mojo said is dead on. Thing is, one to two thousandths is all you want! Less really is more, as he said, you want to avoid excessive Head Space issues introduced my excessive shoulder bump.

Have a good one,
Gary
Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

Let me add one more thing for consideration - Be sure of your shell holder - double check that it is the correct one and there is nothing lodged under it where it slides onto your rockchucker press. Assuming that it is the correct one and nothing forcing it up higher - then measure the thickness of said shell holder. I would then compare that thickness to a couple new ones at a sporting goods store after asking them permission - or do you have a buddy you could borrow a shell holder from and see how it compares to yours to try. With all the quality control junk that we are shipping in from China a couple thousands over thickness wouldn't surprise me in the least on a shell holder.

With that said - before I would turn down the bottom side of an expensive die I would turn down my much less expensive shell holder. Any machine shop/gunsmith with a lathe should be able to do this in a matter of minutes - it's all set up time. You may get another .001-.002 by just polishing the top side of your shell holder also.

I wish you good luck - isn't this a great relaxing hobby/sport.

PS: What kind of dies do you have??

Last edited by cowboy; 01-20-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Bronze Member

Forster dies for the 260.

Good point on shaving the shell holder instead of the bottom of the die.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Silver Member

Nobody,

Sir, you may want to consider that your head space is Too Tight! You should NOT have to be doing this! Serious. Get a set of Go-No-Go gages....check your head space.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:12 AM
Silver Member

I agree with you Cowboy except if you are using that shell holder to load for multiple cartriges. This would pose no problem as long as you never reset the dies for the other calibers that you are using the shell holder with, but I sometimes take my dies completely apart and clean them. My preference would be to measure to the shoulder with appropriate tooling and set the die to bump the shoulder .002" which guarantees reliable feeding, an important attribute in hunting ammo to my way of thinking and if I were unable to accomplish that goal I would modify only the component that was out of spec. The shell holder for .260 is used for a lot of other cartridges, I'm using the same shell holder to load for at least 5 other cartridges, one could create more problems by modifying the common factor rather than the proble child.

Tolerances are allowed in all manufactured goods, even dies and shell holders. What you may have is a condition of accumulated tolerance where the shell holder is at the high end of allowable tolerance for height and the die is at the low end of allowed tolerance for chamber dimension which results in the posters problem. I recently went through a similar albeit opposite situation where I set my die up to mfg's instructions and found myself bumping the shoulder back .014" and had excessive headspace. It is imperritive that we measure for ourselves and not trust the mfg to turn out product that works as advertised