Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

First time reloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

First time reloader

Hey all. I want to thank everyone for helping me decide on how to build my first long range rifle. Now I am getting into reloading. I got a smoking deal at Cabelas on the Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reload kit. The kit says it has everything to start reloading except for dies and shellholders. Which brand of these should I get? I imagine RCBS? And should I get the die kits that come with 3 dies? What is the benefit to that? Is there anything I need to purchase so I can start reloading?

Also, do you all have specific powder, primer or brass you recomend? I am going to reload for a 300 win mag. I plan on using Berger VLD or the AMAX bullets. Let me know any other tips and tricks you may have. I have no clue how to reload but I am going to learn and I am very excited?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First time reloader

RCBS are good dies Redding are better. I would go for the three die set makes it easier to seat bullets.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

rcbs dies are good dies as well as hornady,redding,forester.also,get a good reloading manual or for that matter 2 or 3 from different companies. i would suggest you stick with published data starting out.there is plenty of good data for the 300win mag.and just pay attention to everything your doing and you will really enjoy handloading.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

I think youcan get a Redding bushing die for that, which might be nice as you progress. I like the micro seaters for ease of adjustment and if you plan on different bullets for use they are handy.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

I would stick to Federal 215 primers and new brass to start with. Remington brass is ok Norma brass is better.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Gold Member

Get on Amazon and buy the book on handloading by Glen Zediker, can't think of the title right off, but do a search on the name and you will come up with it. This book is much more detailed than the Sierra or other books from the bullet or powder manufacturers.

Rather than ask how to reload, read that book and also do a search on this site for reloading topics, read all that, then ask specific questions. I'm not trying to NOT answer your question, but the subject is way too broad to address in general, so do some reading then start asking specific questions.

As for dies, at this stage I would not worry much about brands or competition dies, just good old RCBS, Hornady, Redding, etc. will work just fine. Most rifle dies are two die sets, a full length sizing die and a seating die. Most 3 die sets are for pistol or straight walled cases such as 45-70 or .458 win mag.

Follow bullet, case and powder data EXACTLY as shown in the reloading manual you are using or data from a powder or bullet manufacturer. Do not substitute components. Just because a bullet is the same weight does not mean you can use the same powder charge. Different bullets have different bearing surfaces etc. and can generate very different pressures even though they may be the same weight. Start with the minimum load and NEVER exceed the max load. DO NOT start working up your own loads or using load data from other people until you have a lot of experience. Every rifle is different so getting the pet load from someone can be a dangerous overload in your rifle.

Be careful, be safe and have fun!!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

Make sure you lube every case you have if to, if you don't you will never forget it.
the case will stick in the die. also check for any burrs on your brass around the neck.
Inspect every case..EVERY ONE! even a bag of new brass can have a defect among them.
I trim all my brass back .001 and I inspect evey one of me cases, you can and will find a case with a split in the neck.
If the price of brass is hard to pay for, just scrouge the ranges before hunting season.