Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

The first sign of excessive pressure is...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 05:58 AM
Gold Member

Re: The first sign of excessive pressure is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
I had a Chrony Beta that was consistently 2%-3% too fast. It consistently read 2-3% higher than Quickload estimated. When I changed to a CED M2, my velocities immediately started matching within 1% or closer to the estimates!

AJ

AJ , you could be on to something with 2 -3% . for me to assume a $100 chrony is 100% was foolish . I bought a couple of boxes of remington 190 grain ammo . on the box it is rated at 3030 fps . my chrony has clocked them , on different days , at 2988 , 2985 , the conditions must have just been right this day ( or the new battery ) 3032 fps . I buy some factory loads to use as a baseline , and also to foul the barrel with . if I shoot my first factory load and my chrony reads out in left field I know to find that problem before I proceed with my load development . good talking with you and thanks for the info , it opened my eyes . Jim
Old 05-29-2009, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member

"A lot of great info here. Since my load is roughly 50 fps less than what Berger calls for and I am 1.6 gr hotter than their max load any thoughts on how much higher I can go?"

Well, you could leave well enough alone OR give it the old "smoke test" in which you move hotter until something blows smoke. Then back off a half-grain!

Last edited by boomtube; 06-02-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbires View Post
AJ , you could be on to something with 2 -3% . for me to assume a $100 chrony is 100% was foolish . I bought a couple of boxes of remington 190 grain ammo . on the box it is rated at 3030 fps . my chrony has clocked them , on different days , at 2988 , 2985 , the conditions must have just been right this day ( or the new battery ) 3032 fps . I buy some factory loads to use as a baseline , and also to foul the barrel with . if I shoot my first factory load and my chrony reads out in left field I know to find that problem before I proceed with my load development . good talking with you and thanks for the info , it opened my eyes . Jim
Be careful of your results when using factory ammo to foul the barrel. I have read and personally seen that following one brand of powder with another without cleaning will throw the first few shots off much like shooting through a freshly cleaned barrel.

I have heard and read the same can be true with different alloys of copper from different brands of bullet but I have not witnessed that myself.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
Be careful of your results when using factory ammo to foul the barrel. I have read and personally seen that following one brand of powder with another without cleaning will throw the first few shots off much like shooting through a freshly cleaned barrel.

I have heard and read the same can be true with different alloys of copper from different brands of bullet but I have not witnessed that myself.
This statement is very very true.

Not only can it throw the first few, it can give a false sense of good or bad accuracy, the when you clean it start over thinking you have the perfect load, you cant duplicate it. For best results, always develop starting with a clean barrel and clean before you try another type of bullet OR powder or both.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Gold Member

I have not fouled with factory when I was loading Barnes . but I guess I never thought about different alloys , or powders , when I was using both gilding copper / lead bullets . thanks guys Jim
Old 05-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post

Not only can it throw the first few, it can give a false sense of good or bad accuracy, the when you clean it start over thinking you have the perfect load, you cant duplicate it. For best results, always develop starting with a clean barrel and clean before you try another type of bullet OR powder or both.

Let me tell you how annoying that is to learn the hardway.

I'd imagine that different guns would react differently. I've personally never recoginzed a flattened primer but have seen ejector marks followed closely by sticky bolt.

This is also a 7mm but with 168g bergers. From the retumbo loads yall have mentioned I suppose you are talking about 180g pill.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post

This would likely explain why I have been pulling my hair out with my 300 Win Mag. Never thought of this. Thanks for that info.