Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

First reloading press suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Bronze Member

First reloading press suggestions

I've got everything I to load except for a press. Up till now I've never had a place for one and I've just went to friend's houses and used theirs. I've literally have everything except a press.

Kinda on a budget so I'd like to get a used QUALITY model for LR shooting.

I've used RCBS's mostly, But I'm open to suggestions. Would a Rock Chucker be alright or is there something "better"? How are the Hornady's?

Getting an 7 STW come hell or highwater next spring and looking at the price of ammo, a press will pay for itself. Plus shooting a ton of 22-250 you can't afford factory. Not bad buying a box of factory to shoot a couple deer with smaller calibers, But this STW WOW! 75 BUCKS?!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Banned

Re: First reloading press suggestions

I think that about any of the presses on the market are pretty good, but you cannot beat RCBS.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Silver Member

If you are on a budget and want a sturdy press check out the Lee cast https://fsreloading.com/single-stage-presses/
these people have both a breech lock (for quick change die set up, very useful) and a standard screw the die down model. I have delt with these people before and recommend them.
If you want the best IMO FORSTER CO-AX RELOADING PRESS | Sinclair Intl
I have also delt with Sinclair and highly recommend them also.
2 choices, both will out live you
Old 12-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0rd0 View Post
If you are on a budget and want a sturdy press check out the Lee cast https://fsreloading.com/single-stage-presses/
these people have both a breech lock (for quick change die set up, very useful) and a standard screw the die down model. I have delt with these people before and recommend them.
If you want the best IMO FORSTER CO-AX RELOADING PRESS | Sinclair Intl
I have also delt with Sinclair and highly recommend them also.
2 choices, both will out live you
I agree with the outlive part. My little press was purchased as a gift when I was 17. It is from a company called "Bair". It still works just fine after 42 years of use. That pretty well dates me-doesn't it?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

I started loading in '65 with a smallish Lyman Spar-T that's still going strong. I now have five presses and my main press since '87 has been a 'Chucker. It's an okay tool but it's highly over-rated in comparision to others; used intelligently they all make equally good ammo and all will outlast virtually anyone. I have seen photos of RCs with the top strap broken - seems nothing is fool proof for a sufficently determined fool! IF I had to replace my old RC next week it would be with the excellant (iron bodied) Lee Classic Cast; it's an equal or better press in every respect, regardless of cost. Hornady presses's have heavy alum alloy bodies so I would expect them to last as long and work as well as any in its class.

Speed has no place in my reloading so I have no use for additional expensive gadgets like quick die change bushings. Normal lock rings properly retain die settings quite well and I can screw swap my dies in much less than a minute without hurrying anyway; that means two or three minutes, total, in a normal loading session. That's plenty fast enough not to eat up too much of my day. YMMV.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:39 PM

My vote is for the Forster Co-ax press. I personally think it is probably the best single-stage press you can buy. Get a good one right away, and don't look back.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

Forster co-ax for the "best" , I love mine , and the Lee classic cast press for value. I saw some classic cast on the lee website in their refurb and seconds listing for a pretty good savings. They are cosmetic seconds mostly and fully functional. If you are looking to save some cash I'd do one of those.