Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

First reloader, what is a good choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Bronze Member

First reloader, what is a good choice?

I see that there are quite a few reloaders out there, what brand and kit is a good choice. From what I saw I was thinking a single stage press would be easiest when starting out. Any words of wisdom?
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First reloader, what is a good choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranx4 View Post
I see that there are quite a few reloaders out there, what brand and kit is a good choice. From what I saw I was thinking a single stage press would be easiest when starting out. Any words of wisdom?
If our budget will support a Redding T-7 press you will love it. Get the dies set up once and leave them set. Easy press to use. I have two now and love them.

Jeff

Old 11-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Silver Member

for starting, deffinatly a single stage press. Once you master that for handgun go dillon, a dillon 550 will out last you. But for rifle stay with a single stage Hornady, rcbs, layman and lee all have good packages for a starter, your budget will guide you.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranx4 View Post
spend the extra money and only cry once. Look for a Forster press and their dies. There is no better on this planet.
gary
Old 12-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

Spend some time reading a loading manual, that's what you should buy first. They're all pretty good as are the presses that have been mentioned. These guys seem to want to move you along pretty quickly...go one step at a time. You really can't go wrong on a press, it's not like they wear out or something. I'm 59 and I bought a used Lyman when I was 15. Still have it and even use it now and then. My bench has RCBS stuff, Lyman stuff, Lee stuff and a pile of Hornady too. Get a couple manuals and read up first.
Good luck.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Silver Member

I use both a Redding T-7 and a cheap old Lee Classic Turret. I use the Lee for decapping, and loading 300 WSM. I use the T-7 for all the giant magnum calibers. I can load with very little to no runout on the Lee with quality dies. I don't see any reason not to start with turret type press, I did. Here's a couple pics of my setup.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0rd0 View Post
for starting, deffinatly a single stage press. Once you master that for handgun go dillon, a dillon 550 will out last you. But for rifle stay with a single stage Hornady, rcbs, layman and lee all have good packages for a starter, your budget will guide you.

Wil all of these kits in a single press work with mags. My longest bullet is probably a 300 win mag or a 338 win mag. Right now I am looking at hornady and rcbs.