Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

First hand load was a misfire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: First hand load was a misfire

I agree that it might be headspace. I think it could be either the head space or the firing pin. The headspace can be checked easily enough.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

You guys are good. All the things posted I am guilty of in some way. The brass is all winchester, the primers were CCI. I bought all Lee stuff, 3die sets and crimp dies, They have the Fl dies in the sets. The Breach lock challanger kit. Lee OALcase gage and cutter,pocket primer, RCBS flash hole deburing tool , Lee powder scale. I found on utube how to make a bullet that slides in a case when it is chambered then mesured. My rifle mesured 2.8555 three times in a rowe, so I tried to set the Lee seating die to 2.8545. Only a few round came out that length. I am not sure what head space is? I guss I over worked the brass in the prep work. The 35th round misfired and when I went to eject the shell the round came apart and power went everywere. It was a fun day. I am going to read the instructions again an reset up the dies and try again. When I clean my rifles I always put 1 drop of Breakfree oil on the fring pin. Is that to much? I will also say the grouping of the hand loaded rounds that went off were 1/2 the size of the factory loadsBill Maylor..
Old 05-04-2010, 05:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maylor View Post
When I clean my rifles I always put 1 drop of Breakfree oil on the fring pin. Is that to much?
I used to put a drop of oil on my pin, I don't since I read this article.

Basic Rifle Maintenance - Part 1

By Vince Bottomley

Quote:
We do not want ANY grease or oil on the spring or pin it will cause drag and increase lock-time! Again, dry off with an air-line if you have one. A light spray with WD40 is all we need no oil or grease on the spring or pin please!
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 05-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgoto View Post
I used to put a drop of oil on my pin, I don't since I read this article.

Basic Rifle Maintenance - Part 1

By Vince Bottomley
I'll have to take exception to some of the comments in this one, specifically in re the WD-40. That's one product that I'll avoid for most firearm applications, especially in regards to the bolt. Problem is, it tends to gum up and forms a pretty tough varnish as it dries. Use a lube, such as a light oil, and use it in moderation. WD-40 is fine for applications where water needs to be displaced (which from what I understand, is what the "WD" actually stands for) but it's not a great lubricant. We need to use some common sense here, and match the prep work to what we'll be doing. If you're hunting in a wet climate, some oil that ill prevent rusting is probably in order, and a generous amount of it. If you're hunting in the arrid southwest, oil tends to attract and hold sand, grit, and all kinds of other crap you don't need associated with your bolt or firing pin. In that case, since rust isn't likely to be a problem, shoot it bone-dry, maybe with a bit of a dry graphite type lubricant. If you're shooting in an extremely cold climate, avoid any type of oil or grease that will stiffen up when you're in the field, as that'll reduce the firing pin's strike. In essence, there's not so much a "right" way to clean/lube the firing pin as there are a lot of "wrong" ways, depending on the circumstances you're shooting in. What's right in one, can be problematic in another. Match the technique to the situation, and you're ahead of thre curve.

That said, I'm still leaning towards headspace as being the cause of the misfires in this case.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Old 05-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Gold Member

ever punctured a primer? I have punctured a primer before and the little piece that fell out ended up in my bolt. i was getting light hits on the primer but it was not firing. i took the bolt apart and taped it on the counter, the peice fell out and no problems.

just a thought.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

I am going to air clean my bolt and firingpin. I thought I was doing the right thing. I dont know what head space is. That must be the distance between my ears!! Shelin set up the action and their barrel. I am very happy with their work. The rifle's action has never misfired with factory ammo so it must be me. In the last post the Lamiglas decribed it best as a light strike. So I hope cleaning the the pin and bolt will help. I have not loaded any more rounds yet. I am going to reset my dies and try again. That little voice in my headspace told me not to trim down the cases after the first shooting, but I had to use my new tools..I will pay more attention to the prep work and not use so much wax, and make all the rookie mistakes. Bill Maylor
Old 05-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maylor View Post
I dont know what head space is.

"Headspace" is kinda hard to explain, for me anyway... so...

Surplusrifle.com - Measuring Headspace
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams