Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

First attempt at annealing - pics included

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Bronze Member

Re: First attempt at annealing - pics included

there is a great article on Accurate shooter.com about annealing , they were talking about 600-650 deg 5-6 seconds , I ordered some templic 650 paint, come off pretty easy after quenching .

Scott
Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Silver Member

looks to me that you are doing it right. If after you anneal when you resize (FL size), some cases collapse then you are giving it too much time under the torch. Every time I anneal a bunch I also trim after sizeing.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

At this point I only neck size. I've rarely had to full length size, and it's not my intent with these for now.

I found that I had over 100 more FC brass under the bench already cleaned so they are being trimmed, flash holes deburred, and then I'll anneal them as well. My goal is to avoid finding that after resizing I have a variation in actual neck openings. Consistency is my goal, though it might take swapping to a Redding bushing die. As many here use a Lee collet die with good results I'd like to see if I can do that first though. I have used a Redding neck busing die vs a Lee collet die in another caliber and had identical results when shooting so I should be able to do it here.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

DrVett I adapted a torque wrench to my press instead of the handle when using lee collet neck dies. Not that I ever had any problems with the regular way but now I know they're all pressed with the same amount of ass.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

I use a Forster Co-Ax, and the die sits at the same place for each shell. The arm then also stops at the same place for each one, so I suspect that the force exerted on each is the same too. That's a lot of assumptions but it seems to make sense.

I also usually spin the shell and compress it 3 times as per the Lee instructions.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Attached are some photos of my second attempt. I used a metronome to time each case (great suggestion!) and it worked very well.

Of note, I ran them through the collet die today, and each seemed to resize just fine and stay resized. Previously I would run them through the die and some wouldn't neck down enough. I checked old brass, my annealed brass as well as some purposely over-annealed brass using the pliers test, and my annealed ones appear to be performing just fine.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
First attempt at annealing - pics included-annealed-1.jpg   First attempt at annealing - pics included-annealed-2.jpg  

Old 10-07-2013, 05:56 AM
Silver Member

Looks great. Load em up and shoot em.