Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Fireforming Pressures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 06:58 AM

Re: Fireforming Pressures

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
Big Wally,

There's no right or wrong here, just different needs. When my big 338 Lapua Imp. gets built, I will probably use your way, as I expect barrel life to be much longer. I hope to shoot with you someday, if you ever hop the pond. :-) BTW, Wales is close to my heart, as my family originally came from there.

Left7mmstw,

I hear you on temps. Unfortunately, I live in AZ. For half of the year, temps are over 100. From a shooting perspective, I envy your location. The next four months should be good for us down here in Phx.
Yes we little Welsh buggers get everywhere dont we my nephew has come to live over the pond after marring an American girl they live in Bradford Vermont.
and Mark dont shoot but his wife Shelby,s family are big hunters
Wally
Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Fireforming Pressures

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
Big Wally,

There's no right or wrong here, just different needs. When my big 338 Lapua Imp. gets built, I will probably use your way, as I expect barrel life to be much longer. I hope to shoot with you someday, if you ever hop the pond. :-) BTW, Wales is close to my heart, as my family originally came from there.

Left7mmstw,

I hear you on temps. Unfortunately, I live in AZ. For half of the year, temps are over 100. From a shooting perspective, I envy your location. The next four months should be good for us down here in Phx.
When we get as cold as tonight willl be I'd rather be where you are. It'll hit -20 here tonight if it goes anywhere. It was -6 when I shut the truck down this afternoon and rather windy. I won't even try to drive my car tomorrow; my Volt hates it below zero so I'll leave it plugged in and drive my Durango. Dodge trucks will usually start to -40 without using a block heater. I've seen -45 with my last dodge.

As far as fireforming using loaded ammo; shooting a slower cadence, ie. a round every few minutes while you are working with something else will help a lot. Using just enough pressure for a good fill will also help; you don't need b#11s to the wall stuff for fireforming.