close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Reply

Fireforming Pressures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mountians of SW NC, near Asheville
Posts: 1,595
Re: Fireforming Pressures

A conventional load for the base cartridge will do the job fine, no fast powders or cornmeal, etc, is needed.
Reply With Quote
  •   #9  
    Unread 01-18-2013, 05:44 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2011
    Posts: 57
    Re: Fireforming Pressures

    Anneal your cases, charge cases to upper end of unimproved case/bullet combination, make sure that bullet is slightly into the rifling to insure case head location against bolt head and fire for effect. You should find that they shoot fine and accurate, you can then work up improved loads afterwards. Those FF loads can be used for breaking in, fun or any other use . I shot paper for a more than a few years and saw NO increase
    in groups when using FF loads.

    Last edited by kass; 01-18-2013 at 06:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote

      #10  
    Unread 01-18-2013, 05:54 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Gillette, WY
    Posts: 2,978
    Re: Fireforming Pressures

    One thing I want to make crystal clear in case it hasn't been discussed yet.

    DO NOT, seat a bullet on top of a case full of cornmeal. You will blow the rifle up in your face. Paper only on top of cornmeal.


    t
    __________________
    "I, however, view ethics as an individual decision. My ethics are mine - and I won't explain or justify them to anyone else. I seek nobody's approval, just that of my own conscience. "

    Reply With Quote
      #11  
    Unread 01-18-2013, 09:08 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Posts: 4,108
    Re: Fireforming Pressures

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
    One thing I want to make crystal clear in case it hasn't been discussed yet.

    DO NOT, seat a bullet on top of a case full of cornmeal. You will blow the rifle up in your face. Paper only on top of cornmeal.


    t
    Yep, if you want to scrub the heck out of your rifle after using the pistol powder and cornmeal method go right ahead, but NO BULLETS ON TOP of it.

    I actually prefer if I HAVE to use cornmeal(or farina) to charge the casings at the range and shoot into the air (when no one is there) and not bother with a paper plug.

    I prefer a false shoulder, cheap bullets, and a mid-range load from the former caliber.
    Reply With Quote
      #12  
    Unread 01-19-2013, 06:22 AM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Location: wrexham north wales UK
    Posts: 18
    Re: Fireforming Pressures

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
    Just a word of caution when using the cornmeal method: if your barrel has a brake on it, be sure to remove it before fireforming your rounds. The fiber in TP or cotton, when used as a plug in the end of the brass to hold ther meal and gunpowder in, can get caught in the baffles or gills of the brake. It has enough force to crack or break the metal baffles. (Please don't ask how I came about this little gem of truth).
    I did see a photo of a brake that had been left on when fireforming with tissue paper as a wad.
    It was not a pretty sight.

    Wally
    Reply With Quote
      #13  
    Unread 01-19-2013, 06:29 AM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Location: wrexham north wales UK
    Posts: 18
    Re: Fireforming Pressures

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
    Yep, if you want to scrub the heck out of your rifle after using the pistol powder and cornmeal method go right ahead, but NO BULLETS ON TOP of it.

    I actually prefer if I HAVE to use cornmeal(or farina) to charge the casings at the range and shoot into the air (when no one is there) and not bother with a paper plug.

    I prefer a false shoulder, cheap bullets, and a mid-range load from the former caliber.
    What is the use of fireing a charge of powder into the air or a wad of cornflower and paper either if you want to make a bang use a air filled paper bag.
    Use a proper loaded cartridge on paper or on game and have fun doing it.
    If nothing else the practice has got to help your grouping or game bashing.

    Wally
    Reply With Quote
      #14  
    Unread 01-19-2013, 10:05 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Posts: 4,108
    Re: Fireforming Pressures

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by big wally View Post
    What is the use of fireing a charge of powder into the air or a wad of cornflower and paper either if you want to make a bang use a air filled paper bag.
    Use a proper loaded cartridge on paper or on game and have fun doing it.
    If nothing else the practice has got to help your grouping or game bashing.

    Wally
    ???

    The pistol powder with the cornmeal on top blows the casing out just fine. I don't like fireforming that way as it makes the rifle filthy and I'd rather shoot the dang thing anyway.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Fireforming Pressures
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Loading pressures muleyman Reloading 14 11-27-2012 11:53 AM
    Pressures and such...?? StoneCold Reloading 5 11-24-2012 04:46 PM
    AR 15 pressures trueblue Long Range Hunting & Shooting 3 05-04-2009 12:46 PM
    300 RUM Pressures spradley19 Reloading 4 10-14-2008 03:13 PM
    .308 VLD-ULD pressures and volocities Glock119 Reloading 2 02-11-2005 11:08 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC