Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Fireforming Pressures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Fireforming Pressures

A conventional load for the base cartridge will do the job fine, no fast powders or cornmeal, etc, is needed.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Bronze Member

Anneal your cases, charge cases to upper end of unimproved case/bullet combination, make sure that bullet is slightly into the rifling to insure case head location against bolt head and fire for effect. You should find that they shoot fine and accurate, you can then work up improved loads afterwards. Those FF loads can be used for breaking in, fun or any other use . I shot paper for a more than a few years and saw NO increase
in groups when using FF loads.

Last edited by kass; 01-18-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

One thing I want to make crystal clear in case it hasn't been discussed yet.

DO NOT, seat a bullet on top of a case full of cornmeal. You will blow the rifle up in your face. Paper only on top of cornmeal.

t

Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
One thing I want to make crystal clear in case it hasn't been discussed yet.

DO NOT, seat a bullet on top of a case full of cornmeal. You will blow the rifle up in your face. Paper only on top of cornmeal.

t
Yep, if you want to scrub the heck out of your rifle after using the pistol powder and cornmeal method go right ahead, but NO BULLETS ON TOP of it.

I actually prefer if I HAVE to use cornmeal(or farina) to charge the casings at the range and shoot into the air (when no one is there) and not bother with a paper plug.

I prefer a false shoulder, cheap bullets, and a mid-range load from the former caliber.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
Just a word of caution when using the cornmeal method: if your barrel has a brake on it, be sure to remove it before fireforming your rounds. The fiber in TP or cotton, when used as a plug in the end of the brass to hold ther meal and gunpowder in, can get caught in the baffles or gills of the brake. It has enough force to crack or break the metal baffles. (Please don't ask how I came about this little gem of truth).
I did see a photo of a brake that had been left on when fireforming with tissue paper as a wad.
It was not a pretty sight.

Wally
Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Yep, if you want to scrub the heck out of your rifle after using the pistol powder and cornmeal method go right ahead, but NO BULLETS ON TOP of it.

I actually prefer if I HAVE to use cornmeal(or farina) to charge the casings at the range and shoot into the air (when no one is there) and not bother with a paper plug.

I prefer a false shoulder, cheap bullets, and a mid-range load from the former caliber.
What is the use of fireing a charge of powder into the air or a wad of cornflower and paper either if you want to make a bang use a air filled paper bag.
Use a proper loaded cartridge on paper or on game and have fun doing it.
If nothing else the practice has got to help your grouping or game bashing.

Wally
Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big wally View Post
What is the use of fireing a charge of powder into the air or a wad of cornflower and paper either if you want to make a bang use a air filled paper bag.
Use a proper loaded cartridge on paper or on game and have fun doing it.
If nothing else the practice has got to help your grouping or game bashing.

Wally
???

The pistol powder with the cornmeal on top blows the casing out just fine. I don't like fireforming that way as it makes the rifle filthy and I'd rather shoot the dang thing anyway.