Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Fireform .375 RUM brass for .338 Edge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't go with full power loads. Others may feel differently. If you're blowing the shoulder forward and outward, I would use a reduced load. If you get any shoulder or neck splitting, you'll have to anneal the cases prior to fireforming. I incurred this problem when fireforming RWS 404 Jeffery brass to the 338 Edge.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to anneal the case shoulder/neck prior to fireforming if you're comfortable doing that. That should prevent any case splitting and by the time you've necked down and fireformed the brass, it would be a good idea to anneal it anyhow.

I had to get knowledgable and comfortable with annealing since the 404 Jeffery RWS brass was $2.50 a piece at that time (3-4 years ago) and I couldn't afford to keep losing cases due to splits at the shoulder/body junction.

You could even fireform with cornmeal at this point since you're headspacing off of the enlarged neck. This would save you some bullets and wear and tear on your barrel.

Last edited by phorwath; 07-17-2008 at 01:25 AM. Reason: correct word spelling
Old 07-17-2008, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

When you turn the necks down, how thick or thin should the neck be? I am having the same problem sizing down 338 to 308. The sized brass will chamber, but when I seat a bullet the neck is too thick to chamber the round.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it seemed to be a good place to ask.

Thanks, Steve
Old 07-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Bronze Member

The shoulder is pretty close dimensionally to where it needs to be. Just has a funny shape because of the 'double shoulder'. Right now I'm thinking of doing a ladder load up towards a moderate load and see how that goes. After neck turning of course.

Also, I know what you mean about brass cost. When I first paid over $1 for nosler I thought it would be nice enough to be worth the cost. Now that I've switched to Rem late in the game it's up to almost $1 a brass, when you can find it.

Steve, good question. Not that off topic at all. I was just going to start researching that next.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
When you turn the necks down, how thick or thin should the neck be? I am having the same problem sizing down 338 to 308. The sized brass will chamber, but when I seat a bullet the neck is too thick to chamber the round.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it seemed to be a good place to ask.

Thanks, Steve
How thick you make them depends on how much clearance you want between the neck and the chamber. Some BR guys use .001" clearance(and some don't need to resize necks after firing). .003-.004" would allow a little more room to prevent problems from unforseen circumstances. Factory chambers are usually cut with even more clearance. The less clearance the less the brass is worked during firing, but you need enough to allow proper release of the bullet.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Silver Member

Glad it seems to have worked out. The slightly rounded look of the shoulder will sharpen up once fired. Check previous posts reguarding need to fireform brass after necking up or down to form edge brass. It seems most replys were that it made no difference in acuracy with the edge. Dave made good point with checking neck thickness. All mine have been OK so far all though I plan on neck turning them when I acquire the right tools. As far as reduced load...probably good idea, though the few I have shot I loaded the same, and again others have commented in previous posts as well. 300gr smk and H1000 with CCI 250 primers standerd load. I have not shot the new formed brass over the crony yet, or even compaired accuracy between REM and Nosler. Will be doing so soon and post results. I would also check the potential diference in case capacity between the 2. As I have found the rem to weigh a little more than the nosler.
Good shooting,

Brian
Old 07-17-2008, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

I would outside neck turn for 0.002-0.003" total clearance, if possible. So if your chamber neck measured 0.337" in outer diameter, I'd outside neck turn so that a loaded cartridge neck measured 0.334 to 0.335" in diameter. A tighter tolerance can help reduce case neck and bullet runout. The less you work the case neck the longer the case neck life. Also, with the cartridge loaded in your chamber, the bullet may be held in better alignment with the centerline of the bore since the neck will be held within a tighter tolerance within the chamber.

With a factory barrel, you'll probably have plenty of clearance without outside neck turning. With a custom barrel and chamber, you may need to outside neck turn to obtain proper clearance... it will just depend on your chamber dimensions.

Last edited by phorwath; 07-17-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:21 AM
Silver Member

I have 100 338 edge cases made from 375 rum brass. I used a full power load of 94grs. of h1000 with a 300 smk the first time i fired them with no problems at all. Your not really firefoming just getting brass to fit your chamber like every other gun you shoot new brass in. My loaded neck diameter is .366 and my chamber is.369,i did not need to neck turn.