Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

fire forming method for new cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

fire forming method for new cases

I have been contemplating a new way to fire form brass. Call me crazy, but I don't like the idea of cream of wheat and toilet paper in a custom barrel!

I thought about designing a nicely machined firing chamber in a short barrel (same caliber) using the same reamer that ground my chamber. Then using light loads and a small hammer driven firing pin to launch an appropriately sized rubber/plastic projectile (SAFELY!) Ta Daa! Case fire formed!

However, before blowing myself up, breaking the law, and dialing 91 and putting my finger on the one, I decided to research. I came up with this. Almost exactly what I was thinking of (see pics).

Does anyone have any experience with this type of fire forming method?

I understand ballistics, and realize that even one trip to the hospital/jail is way more expensive than a new barrel.

Here are my thoughts:
- if a device like this can be used safely/legally, it would help extend barrel life
- since the chambers are theoretically exactly the same it should fire form the cases nicely
- I know light loads can be a problem d/t inappropriate interaction of the case wall and the chamber wall (more backward thrust and flattened primers, case head separation etc.
- some type of safe projectile has to be used since this pressure is what expands the case appropriately.

Safety is #1
Barrel life is at a premium, now more than ever
I don't like "glued-together-contraptions", but a well though out tool is what I want

This is clearly not a new idea, so any help appreciated!
Don't crucify me, it is just an idea!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: fire forming method for new cases

Hornady makes hydraulic form dies, since safety and nobody calling the cops seem to be high on your list.

TECH TIP: Form Improved Cases with Hydraulic Forming Die AccurateShooter.com Bulletin
Old 03-26-2009, 06:44 AM
Gold Member

In my old edition of "Handloaders Guide to Cartridge Conversions" the author frequently refers to fireforming in a trim die. He does not furnish any illustrations but I would assume that his set up looked a lot like yours.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Silver Member

Some countries (i.e.Canada) prohibit short barrels and can land you in trouble with the law on weapons charges. 1st Ive heard about the hydraulic dies. Thanks. Any personal experience?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Been using Bullseye for many years without the cream of wheat. Trick Speedy taught me---he forms all of his brass that way ----his own and for customers. He did so much of it he had a special rail gun that had several tubes for the most common rounds they did. Most of my rifles do not have a seperate tube for fireforming and when you do a couple of hundred it is no big deal.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Boss Hoss just using Bullseye will do the same thing? How many grains would you start out with if you were trying to form a 280 to a 280 AI? I've never tried without the cream of wheat.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

From the 22 Russian (6ppc) to the 338 Lapua AI I fill about 2/3 full topped with a little bit of cotton ball.