Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Fire Forming With Cream O' Wheat And Muzzle Brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Fire Forming With Cream O' Wheat And Muzzle Brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Couldnt get it to come off. Guess i need to use a vice.

There's no reason for it to be that tight. Did your 'smith thread on the brake or build it into the barrel? Some 'smith's get the wild hair to use loktite or rockset for some dumb reason too....

I've seen both.

t

Old 07-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

It is threaded on and no loktite from what he told me. I shot three rounds tonight with the brake on and could not see any damage, the cases came out about 85% formed, i could probably bump the charge up another grain. I will keep an eye on it.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 07-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

I had a great load worked up: 55gr of cinnamon swirl behind 100gr charmin pleated boattail. Apparently, DHS ordered 500,000 lbs of cinnamon swirl, and I can't find any except with C-O-W scalpers and I'm not paying those prices.

Anyone have a good load using apples and cinnamon? I have an old box laying around and thought I'd give 'er a shot but I can't find any load data on Nabisco's web site.

You guys are too much! Make me feel like a neophyte. I'm going to go shoot cans at 25 yards with my 10-22 where I belong.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

Yo, Riley,

Go for it!

I neck down 375/300/7mm RUM brass, leaving that little ring, and fire form to 270 AM all the time.

I have an over flowing bucket of worn out cases, about 16 pounds, and have had no problems.

I switch between COW & corn meal. After forming a few w/COW I need a glass of milk and after a few with corn meal I get really hungry.

Brake seems to make no difference.

Position your dog @ about 15' and shoot at it. The butt wipe magically appearing @ about 10' will scare the heck out of it. I don't have a dog so I fire form at my goats.

Charred material will build up around the case mouth. It there is only a partial ring, that means part Olof it broke off somewhere. Probably during extraction. Put mom's vacuum cleaner on blow and clear the chamber.

Also go slow being cautious of barrel heat.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Yo, Riley,

Go for it!

I neck down 375/300/7mm RUM brass, leaving that little ring, and fire form to 270 AM all the time.

I have an over flowing bucket of worn out cases, about 16 pounds, and have had no problems.

I switch between COW & corn meal. After forming a few w/COW I need a glass of milk and after a few with corn meal I get really hungry.

Brake seems to make no difference.

Position your dog @ about 15' and shoot at it. The butt wipe magically appearing @ about 10' will scare the heck out of it. I don't have a dog so I fire form at my goats.

Charred material will build up around the case mouth. It there is only a partial ring, that means part Olof it broke off somewhere. Probably during extraction. Put mom's vacuum cleaner on blow and clear the chamber.

Also go slow being cautious of barrel heat.
Hey Roy, havent seen you around here in a while. Nice to see you back.

I did 40 of them total the other day, i blew the chamber out after every round with the air compressor, also didnt let it get hot to the touch. I dont have a dog either, but i fire form at butter flies at point blank range.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 07-20-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
I had a great load worked up: 55gr of cinnamon swirl behind 100gr charmin pleated boattail. Apparently, DHS ordered 500,000 lbs of cinnamon swirl, and I can't find any except with C-O-W scalpers and I'm not paying those prices.

Anyone have a good load using apples and cinnamon? I have an old box laying around and thought I'd give 'er a shot but I can't find any load data on Nabisco's web site.

You guys are too much! Make me feel like a neophyte. I'm going to go shoot cans at 25 yards with my 10-22 where I belong.

Some people just have no sense of humor. LOL!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:30 AM
Silver Member

would wrapping duct tape around the break then using a strap wrench work to remove the break. sounded good in my head and on computer. looking forward to how this one turns out on paper and game.
Riley hows the .284 coming along?