Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Fire forming ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 10:53 PM

Fire forming ?

Any body have a formula for fire forming .308 using 4064?
Or recommendations where to look.

Every thread I have searched always winds up with people getting off topic and into " you should just load such and such way".

I have my reasons for wanting to fire form new unfired brass for my .308

Thanks
Old 06-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Fire forming ?

Are you talking fire-form with Cream of Wheat or Bullets? I'm gonna assume bullets for now, because 4064 would be really slow for fireforming 308 brass with Cream of Wheat. Depending on how extreme your fire-form is, I would maybe just start with a lighter load for fire-forming then a normal load after that. When I have fireformed to a new chamber in the past I have just picked a lightweight bullet, then put it over a small charge of the fastest powder I had available for that cartridge. I took a quick look in my Hornady manual and it says a normal start load of 42.5gr of IMR 4064 for a 130gr bullet. But this might not be safe if your chamber has been extremely modified.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:31 AM

Cream of wheat, Toilet paper, anything except bullets. 4064 and varget is all I have available. All the bullets I have are bergers, and now all the brass I have is factory new lapua. All the data I have is off formed brass and I don't wanna waste the powder and bullets .
Old 06-12-2014, 05:16 AM
Gold Member

Yes please, an explanation of the COW method.

I need it for the 26 Nosler wildcat.

BTW the shotgun/pistol powders seem to be readily available.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:06 AM

its not that I cannot get pistol or shotty powder, I would just like to use what's on hand.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTailx View Post
Cream of wheat, Toilet paper, anything except bullets. 4064 and varget is all I have available. All the bullets I have are bergers, and now all the brass I have is factory new lapua. All the data I have is off formed brass and I don't wanna waste the powder and bullets .
Why would you COW form .308 brass for your .308 gun? That's stupid. Just load it up and shoot it. I've gotten 1/8 MOA groups from loads using new virgin Lapua brass that wasn't formed to my chamber...

The only time you're going to need to use any special method of fire-forming is when you go to an Ackley Improved, or an improved, or a different caliber using different brass...

Sorry if I sound like an ass, I'm not trying to be, but you have a misinformed opinion of fire-forming brass, and how much it can affect accuracy.

It's just like going to a store and buying factory loaded ammo in your caliber, then going and shooting it. Same principal. Accuracy has to do with alot more important factors than whether or not your brass is fire-formed to your chamber. Don't get me wrong, it CAN affect accuracy very slightly, but to the average shooter, they'll never notice a difference.

Hell, I've gotten 1/2" groups @ 100 yards when I was fire-forming my necked-down .270 brass to form in my .25-06 AI chamber...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
Yes please, an explanation of the COW method.

I need it for the 26 Nosler wildcat.

BTW the shotgun/pistol powders seem to be readily available.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.