Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Fire Forming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Fire Forming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
So far it sounds like a royal pain.............................next time I wont get and Ackley unless they make preformed cases like Nosler does with the .280AI

Thanks

Its messier than all hell. I just pick a load about 3/4 up the loading scale ( not a weak and definitely not a MAX load) and load a round as normal. You pull those casings out of the chamber and they are molded perfectly.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

I use the cream of wheat method to fire form my 470 Mbogo...It works and I hate the mess it creates.

My buddy has a place in the country so we decided to shoot off the FF loads (20 grains WW231/full case of COW/topped with toilet paper wadding) in his garage. The sound was deafening, the snow storm blinding, the stink nasty, and the dent in his garage door unmistakable!
I made the mistake of pointing it at his metal garage door and from the outside it looked like the roadrunner hit it!

After discussions about how much a new garage door was going to cost me we took the remaining COW loads outside
Old 05-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Gold Member

My fireforming load is 41gr of Hodgdon H100V under a 95gr Berger VLD in my 243 AI. The velocity with that load is very close to the 95gr SST factory loads from Hornady and it shoots 1/2moa. I regard these fireforming loads as being hunting ready.

Once fireformed, I am starting load development with 105's. My 243 AI is my primary coyote gun so it does not get fired all that often in the field. Must of the field firing is verifying bullet drop in field conditions and keeping up a certain amount of practice to stay proficient. Most of my trigger time is with my 223 which is cheap to fire and should last a very long time, compared to the 243AI. I also shoot my 308 quite a bit, but components have been hard to come by in recent times. It has more recoil than the 6mm so shooting the 243 is a dream after a round of shooting the 308.

I have 40 of the first 50 cartridges fireformed now, so its time to start work on the 105gr loads. Then I will have 95gr bullets loaded in virgin cases and 105gr bullets loaded in once fired cases and by the time I work through the 200 shells I bought, I figure I will be quite a bit older...

I still need to figure out a body die to bump the shoulder back. Most of the die makers are not accepting orders for custom dies due to the current market crisis. I don't need it for the forseeable future, but it will eventually be needed.