Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Fire Forming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Gold Member

Fire Forming

I read an article on www.6mmbr.com discussing the .243AI and they said that the fire form by using 10gr of Unique under cream of what and polly fill over the Cream of what .......................I was told that you had to seat the bullet into the Rifling to get a good fire formed case .........................So does this really work, has anyone tried it..

What really works and what does not.??

Greg
Old 05-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Fire Forming

I've tried both pistol powder/ cream of wheat and just shooting with a mild load and a jammed bullet with the 7stw when making stw brass from 375 h@h brass. Both work once you adjust your load properly. I've gone to a mild load and a jammed bullet myself as the pistol powder and cereal route has always left my barrel so filthy that the cleaning itself would probably be more barrel wear than not running bullets will save.

BTW, do not seat a bullet on top of the cereal and pistol powder as you will blow up your rifle.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

It works but don't try it. Go with starting loads.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Gold Member

So you dont recomend the cream of wheat tecknique...................??
Old 05-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
So you dont recomend the cream of wheat tecknique...................??
It is not really worth the hassle most of the time. The only time I'd think of using it is with an extreme overbore that'll go under 1,000 rounds barrel life if you baby it. Then I'd soak the barrel with a plug in one end and mild solvent overnight to break up the crud and clean the next day.
With the mild load route you'll get some shooting practice with your rifle too. Some fireforming loads are terribly accurate. I have used a start charge of h4831 with a 120 sierra in the 7stw to blow out 375 brass and in my rifle it would cloverleaf at 100; my dad's rifle hated that load though.
It is realy your choice but I really don't like to use pistol powder and cereal in a rifle. my $.02
Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Bronze Member

I used the cream of wheat with elmer's glue trick for my 243AI and mild 243 loads. Both will work BUT if you go with the cream of wheat route be aware. Do not shoot the loads in the house. The elmer's glue will penetrate the wall and you will deal with burning cereal smell for a while. It is also a lot louder than you would think. Second, you will have to clean your chamber between shots. Some of the cereal will end up in the chamber and when you try to fireform another round it will leave dents on your brass. Personally I thought that it was more of a pain to use the cereal.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:31 AM
Gold Member

So far it sounds like a royal pain.............................next time I wont get and Ackley unless they make preformed cases like Nosler does with the .280AI

Thanks