Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Fire-Forming?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: Fire-Forming?

Sure can do. But, consider.

The reason for various methods of fireforming (without) bullets; is to save your barrel life with those hot rock chamberings. If you have 600/1000 accurate shots in your barrel, why spend 100 or 200 just fireforming with sub par ammo?

At that point, you begin load development? Your premium barrel may very well be half shot out by the time you decide on a good powder and bullet combination.

Anyway, that's my take on the situation. You buy an Ackley, you want to shoot an Ackley, not a standard 25'06.

Good hunting. LB
Old 04-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Skip. I concur with 3Six. I don't have a .280 Ackley yet but I will and the ease of fire forming is part of the appeal. If your guns AI chamber is cut right you will notice factory ammo gives a little resistance when closing the bolt. This means the shoulders are holding the case firmly gainst the boltface so it wont jump forward when the firing pin hits it. Then aim and shoot. The brass that comes out is AI.

Most of the info above is an alternate way to get your brass formed without wasting a bullet and big ammounts of rifle powder.

I also agree that you probably dont want nickel plated brass. I don't know exactly why rifle brass is sold that way but for pistols a major reason is so the rounds kept in a cops duty gun unfired for years and years will eject and rechamber where corroded brass will cause a jam.

You are going to use your brass more often than that. I'm sure so no real benefit will be gained by using Nickel.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:07 AM
Silver Member

Now I get it! I havent fired any factory ammo through my AI because it came with 120 emptys and case life has been 2 shots a case so far.
So I cant tell if the factory stuff will sit like mentioned.

Thanks all, that has helped me alot [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I appreciate it,

skip [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Bronze Member

Its cheaper to buy brass and work-up a fire-forming load that gives decent enough accuracy to let you do things like practice your off-hand shooting. Just keep the barrel from getting too hot, and your improved skill should more than compensate you for barrel wear.

Rick

PS A useful way to keep your barrel cool is to load up a few dummy rounds so that you can do, say, 200 rounds of ball-and-dummy style position practice while firing 25-50 live rounds. Saves wear and tear on you and the barrel.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:24 AM
Silver Member

Either about to "help" you more, or confuse you more?

You have something wrong, if you get two firings per case. That is definitely NOT worth the effort, one of which is fireforming. I generally get around ten, based on four different guns.

More advice, never buy a used Ackley. (edit) or a used Weatherby. Or a used 220 Swift; lacking a borescope.

Good hunting. LB
Old 04-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

LB, What I mean is Ive loaded each case twice so far,
I should probably get 7 loads per case, if I was only getting 2 shots per case I would be very unhappy!
7 X 100 = 700 shots! I wont need any new brass for ages [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I was just gonna fire-form some because I wanted to see if I could.

skip [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2005, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

I just load new brass with my full Ackley load and go shooting or hunting. I fireform the Winchester brass as I go. I have never lost a brass nor do I waste any shots down the barrel. After that I just use regular 25-06 Lee collet dies and my brass has gone 20 firings in testing. I quit after that and just put them in with my 100. I alway have 80 rounds of 75 grain V-Max's and 20 rounds of 100 grain Partitions on hand. Point of impact is only 1/2 inch at 100 yards. I am in the process of doing up the same thing in my new 257wby only a little faster. I use the same Lee die on it too only with a spacer. Even when fire forming the 25-06AI is a solid sub moa performer. Not bad for a Ruger.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.