Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Filing down FMJ'S bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Bronze Member

Filing down FMJ'S bullets

I haven't ever tried this but I am sure someone has. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried filing down the tip of a FMJ bullet, just enough to expose the lead, to see if it expands on impact, and by how much.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: Filing down FMJ'S bullets

Supposedly, since the back end is open, the lead shoots out the tip of the bullet before it gets out of the barrel.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...#msg1099268455
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams

Last edited by justgoto; 02-08-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added a link
Old 02-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Bronze Member

That would be interesting to see....but only if I could find somebody else to try it.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

I have shot thousands of them.
I didn't bother filing the tips. I just cut the tips off with a pair of metal snips.
We used them years ago to cull Roos because they were cheap and we needed plenty of them.
Accuracy with the tips clipped was not great but good enough for the job. They were very explosive and did the job quite well at the close distances that Roos were shot at in the light at night.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
I have shot thousands of them.
I didn't bother filing the tips. I just cut the tips off with a pair of metal snips.
We used them years ago to cull Roos because they were cheap and we needed plenty of them.
Accuracy with the tips clipped was not great but good enough for the job. They were very explosive and did the job quite well at the close distances that Roos were shot at in the light at night.

So it is a myth that they'll shoot the core out then. I learn something new every day.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

I had to smile when I saw this thread posted. As a kid we had a pretty good supply of 30-06 Lake City ball ammo and even a bunch of corrosive stuff laying around. Like Topshot, I would use tin snips to cut the tips of the bullets off. I would take it one step further and try to smooth out my work using a bench grinder. It's a wonder I didn't blow my hands off, or worse, as some of those rounds got pretty hot.

I don't know how those bullets would have shot at long-distance, but for us shots were typically under 100 yards and the results were indeed explosive. No core separations that I was ever aware of but these things created one heck of an exit wound.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgoto View Post
So it is a myth that they'll shoot the core out then. I learn something new every day.
Never had a problem with core spitting.

We played about with how much of the tip to snip off. Too much and it effected accuracy quite a bit. Too little and the odd one would not expand.

In the end we would snip off just enough to see a good amount of lead, then make a second snip at 90 degrees to the first to make the point look a bit more even and square.

We got them cheap because some shooters were buying ex-mil ammo, pulling the bullets and replacing them with soft points for use on pigs. We were happy to collect their rejects and use them for the cost of a six pack of beer.
A lot of the gun shops also sold them very cheap.