Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

federal primers in winchester brass is it safe?newbe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Bronze Member

federal primers in winchester brass is it safe?newbe

I am new to reloading and was wondering if it was safe or recomended to use federal primers in wincester brass.I'm loading 223 have perchased the brass but canot find any win primers only fed availeble.should I take back the brass and exchange it or dose it realy matter?I want to do it right.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: federal primers in winchester brass is it safe?newbe

Yes, primers are not manufacturer specific to a case.

BH
Old 03-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Bronze Member

thanks.probably a stupid question but better safe than sorry
Old 03-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Youll be just fine. Heres an analogy for you;
Can you only shoot Winchester brand bullets in your Winchester rifle? NO can use any brand you want, right. You just have to try a few brands to see wich works best with your rifle/load. Brand means nothing, size does.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhoer View Post
thanks.probably a stupid question but better safe than sorry
Not a stupid question! Guessing is stupid. Asking questions isn't. Ya done good!

As has been said, you can shoot Federal, CCI, Remington, <whatever> primers in Winchester brass.

However, while the brand doesn't make a difference, the type of primer, regular or magnum, pistol or rifle, does make a difference.

Highly recommended that you pick up a Speer reloading manual, start on page 1 and read all the way to the reloading data. There is so much information in there you will find useful.

Fitch
Old 03-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
Not a stupid question! Guessing is stupid. Asking questions isn't. Ya done good!

As has been said, you can shoot Federal, CCI, Remington, <whatever> primers in Winchester brass.

However, while the brand doesn't make a difference, the type of primer, regular or magnum, pistol or rifle, does make a difference.

Highly recommended that you pick up a Speer reloading manual, start on page 1 and read all the way to the reloading data. There is so much information in there you will find useful.

Fitch
+1, you did good. and like mentioned above, theres alot of usefull info in load books, they explain alot. and like we both said brand doesnt matter, size does. Look in your load book, and see what primers they recomend for your caliber.
Also burn rate charts and conversion tables are handy, and theyll be in there too

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-22-2010, 12:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post

Fitch
When I first read this, I thought of several sarcastic remarks. It seems like such an obvious thing. Then I remembered sitting in my one bedroom apartment twenty years ago wondering the same darn thing. No one to ask so I did just what Fitch suggested. My first manual was the Speer. (has great pictures) I read it cover to cover several times over. Thank God for the internet! I'm glad people have a place to ask those kinds of questions and guys like Fitch who will actually treat them with some respect. I need to take a lesson or two in that.
Tom