Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Federal Brass Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Federal Brass Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
He hadn't even gotten to re-load the rounds guys, the factories destroyed the pockets. That's damn odd, even for fed. brass; which isn't that bad by the way, unless you push your rounds. I do load fed but don't let the round count get away from me with it since I usually only get them as range pick-ups lately.
I'll sometimes walk around the range when letting barrels cool and pickup range brass, the things I see from factory stuff can be alarming. 80% or more has bolt face impressions, sometimes I'll find it where the rim has started to peal back from somebody try to get a very sticky case out ( not sure if those where reloads or not). But hey for me when I fill up a couple 5gallon buckets of range brass, it makes for a good trip to the recyclers.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
I'll sometimes walk around the range when letting barrels cool and pickup range brass, the things I see from factory stuff can be alarming. 80% or more has bolt face impressions, sometimes I'll find it where the rim has started to peal back from somebody try to get a very sticky case out ( not sure if those where reloads or not). But hey for me when I fill up a couple 5gallon buckets of range brass, it makes for a good trip to the recyclers.
I can never find range brass in the spendy rounds... wonder why....
most of it is 22-250, 270, 7rem, etc. Good for putting around brass if it's in decent shape; if not I'll just leave it.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

I pick it up since I can't sit still, and if I'm gonna be pacing and lucky enough to have the range to myself then why not pick it up and throw it in a bucket, almost like free money. But yea you never find spendy brass layin around lol
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the replies. Lefty is correct all this was factory ammo, Ive only shot a few rounds of hand loads from the few pieces of brass that primers didn't completely fall out of.I'm probably just going to pull the bullets and toss the brass. Does 3300 FPS sound pretty quick for factory ammo and 165 grain pills? I'm not familiar with loading for the 300wsm but that seemed pretty quick. I've got some new brass I'm going to load up and start some kind of a ladder test for the 180gr Accubond. Thanks again.
JD
Old 10-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

I noticed the same thing in my 7mm-08 with 140 grain federal fusion, federal 140 grain accubond, and federal 140 grain Barnes TSX. All the brass there was a heavy extractor mark, a very flattened and cratored primer, and the primers pockets were too large to hold a primer. Remington 7mm-08 loads held a primer fine.

Also noticed the enlarged pirmer pockets, heavy extractor mark, and cratored primer from federal factory ammo in 300 RUM with 180 grain tsx. But, remington power level 3 in 300 Rum and 180 grain scirocco couldnt hold a primer either.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 10-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

I find kind of funny that in large part (at least to my perception) reloading still has that connotation of being a little bit wacko (like your gonna blow your rifle up) to most of the general public that hasn't been exposed 1st hand to reloading. when in reality an experienced educated reloader won't tolerate their loads being at pressure levels that keep showing up with factory loads.

Joe
Old 10-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
I find kind of funny that in large part (at least to my perception) reloading still has that connotation of being a little bit wacko (like your gonna blow your rifle up) to most of the general public that hasn't been exposed 1st hand to reloading. when in reality an experienced educated reloader won't tolerate their loads being at pressure levels that keep showing up with factory loads.
Exactly! I get a little nervous with pressure when i get a slightly flattened primer or a faint ejector mark. The ejector marks i was getting from the 300 Rum fed loads i catch my nail on. Ill try to get a pic up of one.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755