Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Federal Brass Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Bronze Member

Federal Brass Problem

So I recently purchased a .300 WSM and 2 boxes of federal ammo to do my initial sight in/break in. I do not recall the exact ammo, I believe they were a 165 grain Barnes bullet. Anyway while I was shooting I noticed nearly every piece of brass from the first box had some kind of extractor mark or dimple from the bolt face. After all that I take the brass to reload (the main reason I bought the factory ammo in the first place) and every piece I tried to use had an extremely loose primer pocket,most of them just fell out after pressing them in. Out of about 35 rounds I only ended up with 16 rounds I actually loaded and I wasn't even that comfortable with them but had to use them on my recent elk hunt. The ammo from the second box didn't show as much dimpling or extractor marks but still had very loose primer pockets. The ammo seemed pretty fast, 3300 fps over my chrono. I was just curious if anyone has experienced this before? I know there is nothing I can do except maybe call federal and express my displeasure. Oh and the primers were also Federal magnum primers. I may try a different primer and see what happens. Ive already bought Norma brass and will be loading it this weekend. Thanks.
JD
Old 10-26-2012, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Federal Brass Problem

I never had any problem with them loading .30-06, .270 Win, .300 Win, and .338 Win, using mostly CCI, Remington, Win primers.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

I've seen some ammo that was rather stout, but loose pockets are somewhat bad. I did get ahold of a few fed 270's last year that were purported to be once fired and some pockets weren't good enough. I also had some win 7stw ammo that showed higher than normal pressure both as it acted and the pressure guage.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Gold Member

Federal brass is pretty commonly known to be substandard, at least for reloading.

Get Winchester or Remington, and avoid nickel plated cases.

Or if you really want the best, Lapua is the way to go.

FC cases are too soft for repeated use, for most applications...

Those marks you saw on the case head are over-pressure signs. The FC cases can't stand a lot of pressure, and will often show extractor smudges with less than SAAMI spec pressures.

Dan
Old 10-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Silver Member

Federal brass is known to be soft and the primer pockets expand too easily in a high pressure cartridge like the 300wsm. When you switch to another brand of brass you will need to do a new load work-up because of in-side case dimensions. I always use Winchester brass in the 300wsm without any problems.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpoor View Post
Federal brass is known to be soft and the primer pockets expand too easily in a high pressure cartridge like the 300wsm. When you switch to another brand of brass you will need to do a new load work-up because of in-side case dimensions. I always use Winchester brass in the 300wsm without any problems.
He hadn't even gotten to re-load the rounds guys, the factories destroyed the pockets. That's damn odd, even for fed. brass; which isn't that bad by the way, unless you push your rounds. I do load fed but don't let the round count get away from me with it since I usually only get them as range pick-ups lately.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

The brass isn't the problem, factory loads trying to gain an ascetic edge over the competition is the issue. End result being that brass is probably junk now.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe