close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Reply

Federal 210m vs 215m primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 10-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 196
Federal 210m vs 215m primers

I have a few questions regarding the 2 primers. Is the 210m strong enough for the 300 WM? and (ON AVERAGE) what is the velocity difference? Ive heard some people say that the 210 will be more consistant in velocity?
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 10-20-2009, 09:56 AM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Location: Eastern Colorado
    Posts: 608
    Re: Federal 210m vs 215m primers

    In my experience, Federal primers are very hot. F210 is plenty hot enough to ignite very slow burning powder. Still, I have never had a problem with too hot a primer.
    So you're good either way.



    JM .02
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 10-20-2009, 12:43 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 6,926
    Re: Federal 210m vs 215m primers

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samson View Post
    I have a few questions regarding the 2 primers. Is the 210m strong enough for the 300 WM? and (ON AVERAGE) what is the velocity difference? Ive heard some people say that the 210 will be more consistant in velocity?
    The 210 m will probably give you better standard deviations that the 215 .

    The 215s work best on cartriges that use 90+ grains of powder because they are hotter
    but on smaller cartriges they will cause the ES and SDs to be greater than the 210s normally.

    So I would recomend using the 210 m and if not satisfied then try the 215 but reduce your
    loads and work up.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 10-20-2009, 12:55 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Location: Alaska
    Posts: 4,644
    Re: Federal 210m vs 215m primers

    In my 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag, it seems like I lost about 35 fps MV with the 210s versus the 215s. I rememeber I had to add about 1-1.5 grains of powder when using the 210s to bring the MV back up to where it was with the 215s.

    In general with my loads, I obtained lower ES and SD with the 210s. In one specific load, my rifle did better (ES & SD) with the 215s. But the tendency has been for the 210s to yield less ES and SD in that class cartridge. FWIW.

    Last edited by phorwath; 10-20-2009 at 01:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 10-20-2009, 01:03 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: PA
    Posts: 196
    Re: Federal 210m vs 215m primers

    Thanks for the input. This will help out since I have about 1000 of the 210's
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 07-12-2012, 09:58 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2012
    Posts: 6
    Re: Federal 210m vs 215m primers

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
    The 210 m will probably give you better standard deviations that the 215 .

    The 215s work best on cartriges that use 90+ grains of powder because they are hotter
    but on smaller cartriges they will cause the ES and SDs to be greater than the 210s normally.

    So I would recomend using the 210 m and if not satisfied then try the 215 but reduce your
    loads and work up.

    J E CUSTOM
    What's es and ds?
    I got 215 primers for my 308 and was questioning if it was overkill (pretty sure it is) but more afraid of too much pressure since I just read Lee recommends using slower burning powder with magnum primers I'm using Varget.
    Pressure conserns legitimate or my imagination?
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 07-13-2012, 11:00 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Posts: 4,108
    Re: Federal 210m vs 215m primers

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1Jn24 View Post
    What's es and ds?
    I got 215 primers for my 308 and was questioning if it was overkill (pretty sure it is) but more afraid of too much pressure since I just read Lee recommends using slower burning powder with magnum primers I'm using Varget.
    Pressure conserns legitimate or my imagination?
    If you start at bottom listed charge you will be alright, but a 308 win is a bit small for a 215 unless you are lighting ballc2 or similar.
    As to 215's in a 300win, it is all I will use as I hunt with it and it needs to go off when I pull the little lever on the bottom. I hunt in nasty temps some years, and if I'm over 70 gr of powder I won't use a standard primer even if the load is more uniform. I don't have a pet gorilla to drive the bullet out if it squibs on me, so I hit it hard to start with. Don't think a squib will never happen; I've seen it with both shotgun and pistol with listed loads when the temp. gets cold enough. It's a bit easier to drive a bullet(or wad) out of one of those than a 300 win so I don't fool around.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Federal 210m vs 215m primers
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    WTB Federal 215M primers drpbroun5 Reloading Equipment and Components 0 01-04-2009 02:35 PM
    WTB Federal 215M primers aroshtr Reloading Equipment and Components 14 09-15-2008 09:31 AM
    Federal GM 210M Primers Varmint Hunter Reloading 0 02-09-2008 12:13 PM
    210M or 215M primers in 300 WM jedlowe Reloading 3 04-30-2007 03:47 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC