Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

factory crimp die and coal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

factory crimp die and coal

While using my Lee FCD i noticed it was reducing the coal by about .008", I set up the die as per the instructions and I'm only putting enough crimp to lightly mark the case, what gives? The bullets are hornady 130gn sst.
Also, does a canelured bullet even need to be crimped for a bolt action? I am new to reloading and am not sure how to proceed or just scrap crimping altogether......E
Old 01-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: factory crimp die and coal

you really don't need to crimp for a bolt action rifle , I don't .
Old 01-05-2014, 07:04 PM

Earl,

As Jim stated, you really don't need to crimp for a Bolt action, however if you are loading these for hunting purposes and the cartridges may see a little rough treatment (like I treat mine) and light crimp is not a bad idea. I'm sure you know what COAL you desire, so don't worry about crimping on the cannelure when seating for your desired COAL.
Regarding the change in OAL, I would suspect the action of the collet is causing this to happen, but I'm not sure on that one. I use the same die, when I crimp I have not noticed this change. I just "kiss" the brass with the Lee crimp die, with no real noticeable markings on the case mouth, a little pressure goes a long way on that die.
hope this helps, and maybe a more knowledgeable re-loader will chime in and have a better answer
Old 01-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

rather than pull all the bullets and reseat, I reset my seating die and pushed all the bullets down to 3.221 from the original 3.230. I will not crimp any more for my bolt gun, at least untill i have some more experience.....E
Old 01-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Gold Member

Earl , here is a page out of my Lyman reloading book , it talks about crimping . also notice in the picture how the neck can loose it's grip on the bullet when crimped . Jim

Old 01-07-2014, 11:29 PM

Yeah, I've read that before, yet wondered why all (or most) of the manufactures crimp factory rounds. I guess it's knowing where and how much that matters.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:14 AM
Gold Member

we work trying to eliminate runout , and get consistent neck tension . crimping just throws that work away .