Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Factory ammo powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Bronze Member

Factory ammo powder

Has anyone figured out if factory ammo uses powder the rest of can buy? This week loaded up some 7wsm up to max recommended loads. Then shot them trying to find what worked best. I also shot some winchester supreme factory loads. The factory loads were 200-250 fps faster, and my reloads had almost no pressure signs compared to the winchester ammo. I want to pull some winchester bullets apart to weigh the charge, but won't know what powder it is. So does the factory use "special" powder? Or the same stuff we can get? Anyone know?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 AM
Gold Member

Re: Factory ammo powder

since winchester and hodgdon are in the same company sort of id bet its a powder like hogdon super performance. Re17 is another one that will give real good velocitys out of the short mags.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

upacreek,

Factory ammunition often uses what are known as "non-canister" powders. These are powders which are often produced for very specific needs or cartridges, and frequently have no commercial equivalent. This is especially true when dealing with more recent introductions such as the WSMs or RSAUMs cartridges. This is why they frequently produce substantially more velocity than handloaders can safely duplicate, using the limited range of canister grade powder we have available to us.

Trying to duplicate factory ammo by visually identifying the powder is a fool's errand, and it'll get you into some serious trouble if you push the issue. Don't go there.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upacreek View Post
Has anyone figured out if factory ammo uses powder the rest of can buy? This week loaded up some 7wsm up to max recommended loads. Then shot them trying to find what worked best. I also shot some winchester supreme factory loads. The factory loads were 200-250 fps faster, and my reloads had almost no pressure signs compared to the winchester ammo. I want to pull some winchester bullets apart to weigh the charge, but won't know what powder it is. So does the factory use "special" powder? Or the same stuff we can get? Anyone know?

I experienced the same thing with the 300wsm. Never did find a powder that would duplicate factory ammo velocities. RL 17 and i believe it was w780 seemed to produce the closest to factory vel but lacked in the accuracy dept.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

The factory powder is a BLEND to give their ammo exactly what the factory wants. YOU cant buy it because the factory doesnt have that much of it. Next batch to get loaded gets a different blens of different powders to again....give the factory what they wish.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:37 AM
Gold Member

true kevin but powders like super perfromance are the non canister powders they used for a couple years and finally released to the public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
upacreek,

Factory ammunition often uses what are known as "non-canister" powders. These are powders which are often produced for very specific needs or cartridges, and frequently have no commercial equivalent. This is especially true when dealing with more recent introductions such as the WSMs or RSAUMs cartridges. This is why they frequently produce substantially more velocity than handloaders can safely duplicate, using the limited range of canister grade powder we have available to us.

Trying to duplicate factory ammo by visually identifying the powder is a fool's errand, and it'll get you into some serious trouble if you push the issue. Don't go there.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
The factory powder is a BLEND to give their ammo exactly what the factory wants. YOU cant buy it because the factory doesnt have that much of it. Next batch to get loaded gets a different blens of different powders to again....give the factory what they wish.
That makes it sound as if they are trying to make use of whatever powders that they have an excess inventory of,at the time. But that implies that there could be significant lot-to-lot variations in factory ammo charactoristics and performance. Although I seldom use it myself, I was always of the belief that factory ammo was supposed to be very consistant lot-to-lot, year-to-year, and decade-to-decade. Is that NOT true?