Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Extreme spread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2005, 04:46 PM

Re: Extreme spread

Hi dcb
You have something there about # times fired etc and internal volume.
All these cases are fireformed to my Improved chamber but there are different ages and number of times fired.
Tried some 40VMax yesterday and they were better with extreme spread of 29fps over 5 shots.
What caliber are you talking with 2.7etc? this could not be a .222 case or is that a misprint?
APB
Old 02-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Bronze Member

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]miss print, should have been 1.702"
Sounds like you need to start with a fresh batch of brass.
I have had some luck with anneling just the necks and then fire forming. It's easy to over do the anneling on the necks of the 222 making the brass too soft and then you loose all you bullet grip. if you do try it only try a few pieces of brass. till you figure out how much heat to apply.
Dave
One other thing to comment on. If you are having an accuracy problem with the 222. I read that some where in your post.
Try tuning your load with the 52/53gr bullets to an average of 3200f/s.
Any SD under about 15 should deliver groups around .3 to .4"
What brand of chronagraph are you using?
It may only be accurate to with in 15 to 20 SD @300f/s depending on how far apart the screenns are.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Silver Member

Goodgrouper makes a good point. Don't get hung up on ES or SD. Sure watch it. And its important way on out there. But rely on what the target tells you. I've had loads that had even more ES than what GG tells off and had rifles shooting 1.5 inch groups at 600 yards. Of course if ES is wide and groups are wide.....

Personally ES and SD are the worst things ever thought of to use with a chrono in my opinion. In fact if you'll watch each shot , many times when the chrono says it'll be in the group its outt, and when it says it should be out and high (or low) its in the middle.....

Jeff