Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Extra powder for longer OAL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Silver Member

Re: Extra powder for longer OAL

" Someone please unconfuse me,"

Quit believing everything you read on the Internet.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
Quit believing everything you read on the Internet.
Cant say I do believe everything, that is why im asking for clearification instead of just going and doing it.

OK well, I loaded them like normal, low and worked up, and I guess I dont have to worry about the extra COAL giving me lower pressers/lower velocity.

Oh and im not planning on "jamming" them into lands they are now loaded .055 of lands.

TKS
JPB
Old 03-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Gold Member

For handloading all types of non-standard loads and cartridges I strongly recommend the computer program Quickload. quickload quicktarget software
It does an excellent job of answering those kinds of question. It's the best money I've ever spent on reloading equipment.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbaker View Post
I have a .223 that im loading up some 62gr TSX bullets for.

Im using Varget, barnes info says OAL 2.25." If looking for accuracy, should start around .03-.07 off the lands.

On my rifle .05 off lands is @ 2.36". Soooo, im seating out aprox an extra .1".

How much more powder do I use to make up this extra capacity. Some one told me 2-3 extra grains.

I understand always start low, but im looking for a decent starting point rather than starting 2-3 grains too low.

TKS

JPB

If you look at your reloading manual it will give you a COAL number. That is the length used for the loads shown for that particular cartridge. The max loads are relevant to max pressure at that length. That is the way I understand it anyway.

Set the bullet anywhere you want but remember the closer you get to the lands the higher the pressures get. So what if you have to start 3-4 grains down. Trigger time is good and you don't blow you and your rifle up. Some bullets like Berger shoot really good close to the lands just don't try to short cut the process. Once you get near the book max in your testing you really need to pay attention for all the signs of over pressure.

Some fellas say when first testing start right at the lands and work the powder up in 1/2gr increments until you see pressure signs then back off to a safe point. Then anything you do such as seating the bullet deeper is safe. Everyone has their own way of doing this but bottom line is being safe. The cost of a few extra loads should not be a part of the equation.

The suggestion to have Quick Load for reference is a good one.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein