Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ever had bad Primers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 02:02 AM
Gold Member

Re: Ever had bad Primers?

I had a good 10 misfires and 12 that fired I have never had this problem, I am just wondering if the primers got moisture, old???I will try some magnum primers it should solve the problem.
I am gona watch how I store them also..I have some packs that my Pharmisist has, it wicks all the moisture from the pills. they are just small plastic canisters.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:30 AM
Platinum Member

You say "there was a real good hit on the primers" gives a clue. Are you full length resizing? How did you set up the die? My guess is that you created too much headspace, by pushing the shoulder back excessively. This increases headspace. That means the case moved forward with the primer strike and it did not collapse the anvil. Thus, no ignition.

Try neck sizing only with a few. If you must F/L size, move the die up about a full turn, and then come down in steps (about 1/16th inch per turn) until you are just barely touching the shoulder. Every time you size the case, try it in the rifle until you can just barely feel some resistance when the bolt goes down. That will tell you the shoulder is touching the chamber. Excessive headspace could be dangerous.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

I doubt it's a primer problem
My guesses
Bad primer seating, or maybe an issue with the firing pin setting.