Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Equipment needed for reloading at the range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2004, 09:34 PM
Bronze Member

Equipment needed for reloading at the range?

I need some suggestions about the equipment I need at the range for load development. If I resize and prime my cases before going to the range, what equipment will I need to load and adjust powder levels for accuracy?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:45 AM
Silver Member

Re: Equipment needed for reloading at the range?

The same equipment you would use at home. What are you going to do bring your press, dies, scale, powder and bullets to the range??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Do your load development at home not at the range. Am i missing something.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:19 AM
Gold Member

I got to harrell' web page they have a pretty nice table type press for threaded dies and a click type powder measurer and Sinclair handles the table type mount for a Harrell powder measurer or if you have a portable scale you could use your present measurer with that type mount. I've seen guy who use a clamp and RCBS partner press also. Hope this helps. If you can ever get to a BR match you will see some pretty nice set ups for loading at the range and that what got me started doing that years ago and I load everything from my 17mach4 to a 30-378wby at the range.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:54 AM
Bronze Member

Tommy, I was asking about portable equipment that would allow me to increase or decrease powder charges and seat bullets to the best depth for the most accuracy and velocity while at the shooting range. Without some special reloading equipment at the range it would take me forever to develop loads and each time I left the range, I would have to pay to come back in. What I need is recommendations for the portable equipment to take to the range. I will take enough resized and primed cases with me in order not to have to do that at the range. Powder charge and bullet adjustments need to be done after each 5 shot group.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Am i missing something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you are. Many benchrest shooters load up at the range based on temp and elevation and humidity. This wouldn't be practical for a hunter to load during the hunt but it saves a lot of driving back and forth from the range to get your load just the way you want it. And it saves having to disassemble a bunch of rounds that aren't going to be usable for one reason or another.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Gold Member

My shooting buddies and i conduct all our load developement at the range belonging to our shooting club its only a 100m but its a fantastic set up, with 15 solid benches and a reloading area behind the firing points. We have 2 day sessions and overnight at the lodge. Hence we bring all our reloading gear, bullets, powders, etc. Loads are usually made up 5 at a time, tested,chronographed,spotted and results logged. Presses and powder clamped to benches in the reloading shed. Different bullets,powders and primers are tested over the two days and we try to do this 4 or 5 times a year and a great time is had by all [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2004, 10:03 PM

I do the same thing you are considering. Redding competition seating die. Will allow you to increase bullet seating depth in a precise manner. Lee hand press $19.95 at Natchez Shooters is an easy way to seat bullets at the range. As for measuring powder, Lee powder measure kit has about 15 little measured dippers. About $7 from Cabelas. Very easy way to measure powder. If you want to use a powder measure, try the Lee powder measure - about $20. The interesting thing about this inexpensive powder measre is it does a great job of accurately metering long powder without cutting it.