Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Electronic vs Balance Beam scales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Electronic vs Balance Beam scales

Ah, went from the inexpensive little Lee Safety scale to a 1500 system. Sorta made a quantum leap, didn't you?

I like the light weight Lee for what it is and the type of loader it was intended for. It's good though, you can fully depend on its accuracy. But, it really isn't a good example of what a high grade beam scale can be, direct comparisons between the two types of scales based on the Lee are not in order.

Enjoy your 1500 scale/dispenser system, sure hope it works well for a long time. I don't EXPECT that, but I do hope it happens!
Old 04-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
Ah, went from the inexpensive little Lee Safety scale to a 1500 system. Sorta made a quantum leap, didn't you?

I like the light weight Lee for what it is and the type of loader it was intended for. It's good though, you can fully depend on its accuracy. But, it really isn't a good example of what a high grade beam scale can be, direct comparisons between the two types of scales based on the Lee are not in order.

Enjoy your 1500 scale/dispenser system, sure hope it works well for a long time. I don't EXPECT that, but I do hope it happens!
You may be correct Boom....and at some point a high end balance beam scale may make its way onto my bench. I think someone else said it earlier but I think my version of 'lean manufacturing' is not yet developed enough to have processes as smooth (and quick) with balance beam as they are with the 1500. More practice and a time when a bit more of my day belongs to me and the story will doubtless be a little different!
Old 05-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Silver Member

Glad I found this thread. My dad gave me some reloading equip. a few years ago which included a 10-10 scale and an RCBS electronic scale. Well, earlier this year my dad wanted the beam scale back as he wanted to get back into reloading. So I sent it back to him. I never felt very confident in the electronic scale, but used it anyways. Last week I double checked some loads for my .338 Edge cause I was getting pressure signs and found that out of 13 loads that I checked there was only 1 that actually weighed what it was supposed to and there was a .5 gn variation in charge weight between those loads. Now I don't trust the scale anymore.And since I only had the electronic scale to double check them with, who knows where they really are. Gonna find me a good beam scale where I will have more confidence.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:23 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Used the beam scales and the cheaper electronic scales over the years. Been satisfied with both to a point. Lately I have switched over to a laboratory grade electronic scale by Denver Instrument. Quite a bit more money than the other electronic scales on the market, but I am very happy with the performance of this scale. The extra money is well worth the peace of mind..
Old 05-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Bronze Member

I have a lyman scale and love it. Ifs fast and right on the money every time I use it. I check wright about every 6 or 8 loads and have no problen at all