Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Electronic vs Balance Beam scales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Electronic vs Balance Beam scales

I like the electronic scale, but over the last month or so I have noticed that my RCBS 1500 is off by as much as five whole grains when I checked it with the beam scale?????? I was going to call RCBS and ask them if my scale was having issues??????? The scale was right on when I first bought it 3 years ago, but now always seems to be off! Anyone experience anything similar?

Unread 04-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Yikes..., That's why I tended to stick with the old teeter-totter balance beams. Gravity has been pretty constant over my lifetime. But electronic devices can go t_ts up at any time.
Unread 04-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the gory details Boomtube I knew you had it in you. Makes sense. These tiny feeler cells are also probably also built by the lowest bidder! Can you hear my confidence plummeting?

I actually have 3 large florescent lights above my 1500. Never an issue with my 1500, but Capt Academy just made beamers righteous. 5 grains? Was it 5 grains diff consistently? 5 grains different than your check weights? 5 grain spread?

I just trust in my check weights and i even own a second check weight set to check my check weights (repeat gift at christmas , but a different brand)(yes this is overkill) but... to make any scale/gauge reliable, you have to compare them to a range of known values. Even a beam scale may be off if not tested against these known values at different weights!
Unread 04-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Academy View Post
I like the electronic scale, but over the last month or so I have noticed that my RCBS 1500 is off by as much as five whole grains when I checked it with the beam scale?????? I was going to call RCBS and ask them if my scale was having issues??????? The scale was right on when I first bought it 3 years ago, but now always seems to be off! Anyone experience anything similar?
Did you calibrate your 1500 with your check weights?

Did you check your balance beam with your check weights?

When you place your 50 grain check weight on the 1500 does it read 5 grains off?
Unread 04-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Bronze Member

For those of you with problems holding Zero, An uninturuptable power supply (UPS for your computer, purchased at any office store) should be in your future.

While not related to scales, I deal with motion control using electronic controlers. In the field when we run into unexplainable control issues, we commonly find that some repeatability problemes are related in some way to dirty power. Could be poor grounding, fluctuating voltage, weird voltages etc.

A UPS is a good way to even out some power problems...its esentially a battery that isolates the grid from your equipment. flattens and conditions the power to be more consistant.

Another thing to look at is induced voltages related to proximity to higher voltages. (is your scale near the high voltage lines running to your panel?) I once had a customer replace all the servo drives on a machine because it wouldnt work) later found out it was sitting directly over the 27000v lines running into the factory. Moved the machine and POOF! no more problems.

On site conditions can make a huge difference to reliability...
Unread 04-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

"Thanks for the gory details Boomtube I knew you had it in you."

Now I have writers cramps! ;)

Adam's comments apply too.
Unread 04-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Bronze Member

Oh little did I realise what I was starting with this thread!! Seriously though - thanks chaps for a very informative thread. I think there is a place for both electronic and balance beam scales. I love the speed at which I can load using my 1500 but there is often just a teeny bit of doubt in my mind.

This all started because I was frustrated with my Lee safety scales....they take ages to settle and I am not always convinced of the result. Moving forward I think I will continue with my 1500 but may move onto balance beam once I have my work flow sorted and for certain loads....