close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Electronic vs Balance Beam scales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Gold Member

Re: Electronic vs Balance Beam scales

Well, I guess I got the one digital that does not need to warm up, does not react to flourescent light or cell phones, immediately registers changes in weight, always goes back to zero with an empty pan and always reads -155.0 grains when I pick the loaded pan up to funnel the powder in a case. I keep it plugged in but not on and always calibrate it with the 50 and 100 gr check weights every time I turn it on.

In 2 1/2 years it has never done anything it was not supposed to. There are several ways to check calibration while you are loading. Like I said when you lift the pan the display reads -155 gr and when you put the pan back on it goes to zero. Sometimes I empty the case back in the pan to recheck the weight and it is always exactly the same weight.

After pushing the dispense button I can seat a bullet in a previously charged case, put it back in the loading block, pick up another previously charged case, glance inside the case to verify powder level, put it in the shell holder and by then the dispenser has beeped saying the next charge is ready. By the time I finish charging all the cases I am within 3 or 4 cases of having all the bullet seated and done.

I just set the dispense .3 gr less than the desired weight and dislodge a few grains off the end of the tube to get it exact.

I could not be happier with my RCBS 1500 and after a couple of months gave my balance beam to a kid who wanted to start reloading. Won't go back.

But only the RCBS 1500 from what I have read. But it takes all kinds to fill the freeway and different strokes for different folks and all that.
    Unread 04-09-2009, 07:25 PM
    Platinum Member

No disagreement from me. Like I said, your logic covers some of the same concerns that have intuitively, kept me from purchasing a digital scale. Anything as complicated as a digital scale could fail and give errant readings, and how could a person ever know exactly which load charges that failure occured on.

I periodically check my balance beam scale for repeatability, and I feel good when I confirm that a powder charge measured early on at the beginning of the powder charging process weighs the same upon re-weighing it after I've weighed 20 additional powder charges. This is a very simple QA/QC check that adds confidence and confirms proper operation.

Last edited by phorwath; 04-09-2009 at 07:42 PM.

Unread 04-09-2009, 07:34 PM
    Gold Member

Double post

Last edited by woods; 04-09-2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Double post
    Unread 04-09-2009, 07:41 PM
    Silver Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
    ... how could a person ever know exactly which load charges that failure occured on.

That's easy; those are the ones that missed!
    Unread 04-09-2009, 07:46 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by visigoth View Post
    That's easy; those are the ones that missed!
    Yeah, that's what I refer to as the fear-factor, and it causes me to stick with the simple teeter-totter approach to weighing my powder charge!

On the other hand, the electronic scale would always give me that pat excuse for any misses! Guess I can always say it must of been the electronic scale, even though I'm using a beam scale.

Last edited by phorwath; 04-09-2009 at 09:08 PM.
    Unread 04-09-2009, 09:01 PM
    Gold Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
    Yeah, that's what refer to as the fear-factor, and it causes me to stick with the simple teeter-totter approach to weighing my powder charge!

On the other hand, the electronic scale would always give me that pat excuse for any misses! Guess I can always say it must of been the electronic scale, even though I'm using a beam scale.
    Guess that why I never miss!
    Unread 04-09-2009, 09:37 PM
    Platinum Member

I use a $90 Cabelas digital scale for weight matching cases and bullets. 10X faster than a beam scale. But I weigh all powder charges on a 10-10 beam scale. Back when I loaded 1000's of rounds a year, I wore out a O'Haus Duo-measure, and checked every 10th throw with the same 10-10. Each device does something well.

Good shooting, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time