Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Electronic vs Balance Beam scales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Bronze Member

Electronic vs Balance Beam scales

Interested to see how many folks on here use an electronic dispenser and then double check with a balance beam.

Having been involved in a recent thread (in UK) on this I was a bit surprised to find some folks using the dispenser to throw a load and then transferring it to the balance beam to check every one - kinda begs the question why bother with a 350 electronic dispenser. Perhaps I am the heathen here but I tend to find that checking every 10 to 15th throw should be enough. Sometimes I will take a couple of 'marker bullets' (ie bullets I know the exact weight of) and check them on the electronic scale to check that my scale zero isn't wandering(!)....

Your thoughts?
Old 04-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Silver Member

Re: Electronic vs Balance Beam scales

I just picked up a RCBS Chargemaster 1500, and really love it. I have access to all sorts of extremely accurate scales (both electronic and beam good to 0.0001 +/-). I weighed a number of small objects on these recently calibrated laboratory scales and the Chargemaster scale was right on.

I check the zero periodically, and calibrate every time I start a session. I also let the scale warm up for 1/2 hour before I start using it.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visigoth View Post
I just picked up a RCBS Chargemaster 1500, and really love it. I have access to all sorts of extremely accurate scales (both electronic and beam good to 0.0001 +/-). I weighed a number of small objects on these recently calibrated laboratory scales and the Chargemaster scale was right on.

I check the zero periodically, and calibrate every time I start a session. I also let the scale warm up for 1/2 hour before I start using it.
Exactly what I have found - hence my confusion around the double check for every load....

I calibrate every time I use it but interested to know why so long to let it warm up?

Cheers,

Jason
Old 04-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Silver Member

The warm up time what was suggested by RCBS (I think they said 15-20 minutes). I also read this in a few forums. My own experience has been that the scale seems ready to go when it boots up.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member

zigliss,
I, like Visigoth, have access to hundreds of scales on an almost daily basis. I am a scale technician by trade so I see the good and the bad (read as "expensive and cheap"). I started out with a RCBS 5-0-5 balance beam and now use the RCBS Charge Master 1500. I still have it and my Dad's 10-0-10(??) stuck in a closet here somewhere.
With that said, I like electronic scales best. The good ones are accurate, they repeat and hold their zero. The cheap electronic ones don't even make good paper weights. They are usually faster than balance beams.
The balance beams are dependable, usually accurate and repeat if they aren't worn at the pivot and bearing.
I keep my 1500 plugged in all the time and when I get ready to reload I turn it on, calibrate and go. I never use a balance beam to double check my loads. JohnnyK.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks JK - not being 'au fait' with weights and measures (other than those found down the pub) it is good to hear from those who are 'in the business'. I must say I have never had any cause to doubt my 1500 and, when I double check, everything seems spot on.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Gold Member

Like the others here I have found no fault with my 1500. I used to check it with my old balance beam which was much more unreliable than the 1500. The digital stays plugged in and turned off and needs no warm up time. Just turn it on, calibrate it with the supplied weights and the pan will weigh exactly 155 grains everytime. Everytime I pick the pan up I glance at the display and it will read -155.0 grains everytime and that tells me I am right on track.

I always set to dispense a little less than I want and then dislodge a few granules off the end of the tube to get the weight exact. Also the digital is much faster because I seat the bullet on a previously charged case while the dispenser is going and by the time I am through charging all the cases I am within 3 or 4 cases of having all the bullets seated also.

On the few times that I have had to pull bullets to change a load, I always weigh the powder charge and it has always been the exact same weight as it had previously weighed when loaded the first time. By watching all this I am confident that the 1500 is performing as it should.

I gave my old balance beam to a kid who is starting to reload.