Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

electronic scales /powder tricklers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

electronic scales /powder tricklers

in the market for new scale and powder measure.looking at the lyman(one piece,less expensive) vs rcbs(two pieces,mo money)what about it yall? thanks a mill,jimm
Old 01-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: electronic scales /powder tricklers

A friend has some Lyman and they work really well!
Old 01-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Gold Member

I have a Pact (i.e. the RCBS is a green Pact) from about 4-5 years ago. Works well, but a tad slow. Need to get off my duff and box it up and send it to the factory for the upgrade to the newer electronics in the dispenser that make it faster/more accurate.

One thing I keep an eye on w/ mine is that w/ larger charges of extruded powders (for me, 40+gr of Varget, H4350, H4831, IMR4064, etc. such as for a .308 or bigger) it tends to over-throw about 0.2gr... so I just set the desired target weight 0.2-0.3 low, and use the 'Dispense' button to trickle up the occasional one that actually comes out right [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] The newer electronics and guts are supposed help w/ or take care of that, according to the factory tech on the phone.

HTH,

Monte
Old 01-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

milanuk,so you are saying that the current rcbs unit is faster and perhaps a tad more accurate? iwll be loading weights of 70+grs. of extruded. i keep leaning towards the rcbs unit because i'm thinking that if one goes out i will still have the other and can fall back on which ever piece of old equip.it is that failed. jimm
Old 01-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

RCBS is putting out a powder scale/dispenser this year that is more like the Lyman 1200 but has the pan in front of the powder hopper on a step-up platform. Should be better than the previous scales.
I use a Vibra-shine electronic powder trickler with an RCBS 10-10 beam scale for loading. The electronic scales are great for some people, but I only weigh bullets and powder on them and leave the accuracy to the 10-10. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I like to SEE what the scale is doing!
good shooting!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

The new Pact is, yes. Whether or not the new RCBS is updated yet or not... I don't know. The faster/more accurate is relative to the older Pact/RCBS model, and mainly as a response to a) customer requests/complaints and b) the new and improved Lyman 1200DPS II. Relative accuracy/speed btwn the two... I couldn't say.

Monte
Old 01-23-2005, 12:30 AM
Gold Member

Have a old PACT system with the dispenser updated for higher speed. Dispenser is now twice as fast as before. I dispense in the 50-60 grain range and am usually always less than .1 grain accurate. Usually scale hits it perfect, but scale can be off .05. More than enough accuracy for most folks. Even a balance beam is +/- .05. I've been told the Lyman scales are real sensitive (more so than others) to wind currents in your work area. I'm real happy with the PACT and like the two piece system. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]