Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Electric Powder Measure - thoughs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 12:33 PM

Re: Electric Powder Measure - thoughts

I have the Hornady AutoCharge unit and would never go back to the beam scale. I will however keep the beam scale to verify charges once in a while. So far, + or - 0.1grn has been spot on every time.

Bill
Old 03-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Electric Powder Measure - thoughs

The rational basis for how to choose tools for your powder handling chores is how many rounds you weigh out at a time. If it's a few dozen the digital dumpsters are foolish, IMHO. If you do a few hundred at a time, yeah, they are helpful. The gray area in between is a toss up.

Personally, I never feel a need to hurry my precision loading and prefer to KNOW I'm in control every step of the way. I will not relinquish that control to any 'made in China' electronic gimmick.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:12 PM

I bought the RCBS Chargemaster and man, it is the way to go. By the time I get the funnel onto the new case, the charge is nearly ready to pour.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
The rational basis for how to choose tools for your powder handling chores is how many rounds you weigh out at a time. If it's a few dozen the digital dumpsters are foolish, IMHO. If you do a few hundred at a time, yeah, they are helpful. The gray area in between is a toss up.

Personally, I never feel a need to hurry my precision loading and prefer to KNOW I'm in control every step of the way. I will not relinquish that control to any 'made in China' electronic gimmick.
I would hardly call an electronic powder dispenser a gimmick. As far as volume loading, it does not matter to me if I am putting together 30 rounds or 300, I like my dispenser. I too never hurry my reloading, despite using my "electronic gimmick". BTW, do you consider a calculator a gimmick? A couple of sharp pencils and an eraser works too!

To each their own, but calling them foolish for loading a few dozen rounds is your opinion, and not necessarily shared by others.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoluvr View Post
I would hardly call an electronic powder dispenser a gimmick. As far as volume loading, it does not matter to me if I am putting together 30 rounds or 300, I like my dispenser. I too never hurry my reloading, despite using my "electronic gimmick". BTW, do you consider a calculator a gimmick? A couple of sharp pencils and an eraser works too!

To each their own, but calling them foolish for loading a few dozen rounds is your opinion, and not necessarily shared by others.
x2!!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Bronze Member

If I had the money laying around I'd buy one in a heart beat... I work with a guy that is a pretty serious benchrest competitor and he picked one up last summer and is thrilled with it...(not sure which model, I think RCBS)

I enjoy loading and probably only spend 15-20 hrs a year doing it, so the chargemaster just isn't a wise investment for me. Now, if I had an AR and was shooting multi thousands of rounds through it, plus my hunting rifles and such, it would be a different story.

How much faster are they? I use a powder dump/charger, then weigh, then trickle to dead nutz.... it really doesn't take that long...
Old 03-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Bronze Member

I have owned the RCBS Chargemaster for a couple of years now, and I highly recommend it.

I have a fluorescent shop light above my reloading bench, and it has not caused me any problems.

The heat/AC outlet above my bench has. I have to close the register, or use the breeze cover that comes whith the unit. I just close the register when throwing powder because I don't like to use the cover.

I turn it on for ~1/2 hour prior to loading, calibrate, and start loading. Always spot on compared to my balance beam scale.

Throw a charge, dump it into the case, and by the time I seat the bullet the next charge is ready and always within .1 gr.

Fast, very accurate, and easy. Whats not to like.

Last edited by Nebo; 03-16-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling