Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Duplicate Chronograph results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Duplicate Chronograph results

When you get 30 years under your belt with the knowledge I have on devices from the LE job I was in, much of which was helping develop the laws and regulations in NIST Handbooks 44 and 130 that the states use in their W&M programs involving various scales, gas pumps, etc., then we'll talk! Using a $20 digital scale to weigh powder where ONE mistake depending on that device will kill you is plain foolish! I stand by my statement that using a cheap $20 device of any type for reloading is asking for big problems! If you call that bashing, so be it, but if I made one person that reads the thread stop and reevaluate what they're doing I may have saved some body parts or a life!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

'06, I understand where you are coming from as to cheap= crap. especially with scales. He didn't even state a brand or if he got it used, though.
I don't mind people being frugal (if safe too) as much as the poor soul with an ackly or wonderthumper that thinks his little pea-shooter can walk with the over-bore mags. They are the ones that turn their rifles into frag grenades. Or sell 'em used after one to many HOT ones through the pipe. New frontiers, my arse.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
When you get 30 years under your belt with the knowledge I have on devices from the LE job I was in, much of which was helping develop the laws and regulations in NIST Handbooks 44 and 130 that the states use in their W&M programs involving various scales, gas pumps, etc., then we'll talk! Using a $20 digital scale to weigh powder where ONE mistake depending on that device will kill you is plain foolish! I stand by my statement that using a cheap $20 device of any type for reloading is asking for big problems! If you call that bashing, so be it, but if I made one person that reads the thread stop and reevaluate what they're doing I may have saved some body parts or a life!
I'm not sure why the OP brought up price in the first place? Bragging? Or, uncertainty?

When something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

My scale that claims .02 grain precision cost me almost $400. I wish I had gotten it for $20.

Regardless of price, you can't be too safe and it's best to cross-check everything when risking life and limb.

Even expensive electronic scales can/do go haywire.

So, double check your weights. Be safe.

-- richard
Old 06-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

I guess maybe I owe an apology to the members and OP for being so blunt, but nobody that knows me has ever accused me of sugar coating anything. We are talking serious chit here and everyone needs to realize that and listen to the wise words in the previous post by Richard no matter what they are using!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
I'm not sure why the OP brought up price in the first place? Bragging? Or, uncertainty?

When something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

My scale that claims .02 grain precision cost me almost $400. I wish I had gotten it for $20.

Regardless of price, you can't be too safe and it's best to cross-check everything when risking life and limb.

Even expensive electronic scales can/do go haywire.

So, double check your weights. Be safe.

-- richard
To be honest I had written it off as BS until this post.

Isn't 1/700,000gr about 1 small kernel of a short extruded powder, or 1 kernel of an average sized ball powder?

Not bein an ass just surprised
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

Joe,
If I remember right an average kernal of lets say h4831 weighs about 1/26 (.038) grain and h4350 weighs about 1/35 (.028)grain therefore a scale is accurate to .02 will easily detect one kernal of those powders....

My first guess was that the OP had a Lee beam (about $25)..The manufacturer claims 1/10 accuracy and 1/20 sensitivity...My guess was that he converted the 1/20 wrong to come up with .02 instead of .05...But that was only a guess I wish we could hear from him to clarify what scale..

A buddy of mine had one and for weighing powder it seemed to be just fine....If they were unstable and causing over or under charges most certainly Lee would have discontinued them...My only problem with it would be its capacity limitations (only about 100 gr)...Bullet sorting with anything but small calibers not be possible....
Old 06-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

I have a Sartorius that will weigh individual kernels of H4831sc.

That level of precision is rarely required or useful. But, there are times when it is handy.

I've seen inexpensive scales that are precise to .02 grams which is about .3 grains.

Most moderately priced digital reloading scales resolve to about .1 grains.

There are times when it's safe/accurate to drop powder by volume without weighing. But, you need to know when this is the case and not take chances.

A precise scale that's not calibrated or used correctly is just as bad or worse than an imprecise scale that's used with care.

-- richard