Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Duplicate Chronograph results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Duplicate Chronograph results

I bought a scale that measures down to .02 grains the other week for 20 bucks. Well last week i was reloading for an OCW test in my rem 700 bdl .270 and found that 2 out of 3 shots, in all my charge weights, came to be duplicates on my chronograph. Is it odd to have this many duplicates when reloading for an OCW test. Or can this be attributed to keeping my powder charge of 3 bullets in a group within .02 grains?

O i am using the $100 "Pro Chrono"
Old 06-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Duplicate Chronograph results

A $20 scale to weigh your powder charges and a $100 chrono, huh? Don't you think weighing powder properly when mistakes can maim/kill you deserves a little bit better equipment than that? I'll bet that scale is a real dandy, especially if the grads are in 2/100ths of a grain increments!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:24 PM

I guess some people pay more for items because its convenient to pay more and think they are getting a better product. I prefer to research and pay less for my items that provide the same results.

Even though you call into question the validity of my equipment your post did not provide and answer to my question. If i would have left the value of the scale and chrono out would you still have wasted my time with a pointless response to what i asked?
Old 06-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Hey, if you haven't noticed it's been 24 hours/125 views of your post and you have had no other responses to your question. Don't you think that may just be for the exact reason I politely gave you when most of the time you would have a bunch of comments by now? If you would rather I said buy some good equipment and that you get what you pay for, rather than junk for $20 and $100, ones which you are literally risking life and limb on, I'll just be blunt for you if that's what it takes! It's a shame you didn't think a little and digest what I said to answer your question. As a retired W&M Investigator in LE for over 30 years, I'll say again that $20 for a digital scale to reload with is just plain Same goes for your cheap chrono and that's why you got so many duplicate results! I'd pay that much in postage just to insure that critical equipment like that was shipped properly, LOL! You stated: I prefer to research and pay less for my items "that provide the same results". Duh!!! Do you get it now, as the first post was not intended as a pointless response?

Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 06-12-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Gold Member

If the chronograph is not wrong... you little scale must be doing the job.

That said, if it's an electronic scale I'd probably want to "check and balance" it with a beam scale... if it's a cheap Lee beam scale, they actually work, and can be depended on... you didn't say what kind of scale it was.

As to the identical numbers...

I have seen this, especially with my .308 win loads when I get to a good powder level.

I have an F1 Chrony, so that might be part of the reason for identical numbers... I was shooting some .308 loads, 168 grain SMK's with 43.6 grains of IMR 4895 across my F1 and I got three 2599's in a row, then a 2601... and another 2599...

This said, the chronograph cannot and should not be depended on for load proofing. I know that many people do, but the target must always be the final arbiter.

For those who don't have good access to long range shooting areas, a chronograph is the only way to hazard a guess as to what your vertical will be at say, 800 yards. But again, actually shooting paper at the longest range you plan to use the rifle is the only sure way to know what it's going to do in the field.

Dan
Old 06-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

I tend to shy away from cheaper equipment because of the afore-mentioned adjective, but if that's all the pesos you have, go for it but make sure you are safe by cross checking with a beam scale and weights. Usually loads will come in and out of uniformity as you run a charge set. That said, I've seen good combos running weighed charges hit a 4 fps x for three shots at one charge level. The 270 isn't really known for uniformity to that degree, though. What was the load??
Old 06-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

30-06, bashing someone for being frugal isn't very classy, now is it?????
Unsafe; yes, bash the crap outta them. But was he unsafe??? Not if he checked his scale first with a check weight.