Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Dropped powder scale - recommend replacement?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Miller Outdoors

Re: Dropped powder scale - recommend replacement?

Yesterday I was down at the local sporting goods store and in the reloading section they had just taken in trade toward a gun a RCBS Chargemaster 2 piece set - the scale and the powder dispenser. They had the set for $179 and I just couldn't resist. Today I loaded some .223 and some .308 and it may just be the best purchase I ever made. I can't believe how much faster and easier it is. I also picked up a cheap Lyman beam scale for a backup.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is why I have to type in a charge weight 6 grains higher than I want the dispenser to pour out in order to get the right charge - for instance, I wanted 27.1gr of H4895 and had to put in 33.1gr to get it to dispense the 27.1 grains. Same for Varget for the .308 - had to type in 49gr in order for it to pour 43.3gr. And yes, I did calibrate it for each powder according to the instructions.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Outdoors View Post
Yesterday I was down at the local sporting goods store and in the reloading section they had just taken in trade toward a gun a RCBS Chargemaster 2 piece set - the scale and the powder dispenser. They had the set for $179 and I just couldn't resist. Today I loaded some .223 and some .308 and it may just be the best purchase I ever made. I can't believe how much faster and easier it is. I also picked up a cheap Lyman beam scale for a backup.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is why I have to type in a charge weight 6 grains higher than I want the dispenser to pour out in order to get the right charge - for instance, I wanted 27.1gr of H4895 and had to put in 33.1gr to get it to dispense the 27.1 grains. Same for Varget for the .308 - had to type in 49gr in order for it to pour 43.3gr. And yes, I did calibrate it for each powder according to the instructions.
I would recomend that you zero both the chargemaster and the powder scales with the
calibrated weights provided to find which one is off.

They should both read the same with the weights (50 grains and 100 grains).

Also wait for the charge master to beep and confirm the actual weight of the charge. (it will
beep when it stops dispensing and then beep again to give the actual charge weight.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

J E is spot on.

Be aware that the Chargemaster can be reprogrammed via the front panel. I have restrained myself from doing a web search and even snooping at the process. If someone messed with it ??????

The durn thing compensates its process for 222 size charges and RUM size charges. Its pretty much the cat's meow the way it came from RCBS.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:55 AM
Miller Outdoors

My unit doesn't beep. I think I have the older model because it doesn't look like the 1500 model I see advertised currently and doesn't have any number on the manual after "Chargemaster". My dispenser is shaped differently with raised buttons.

I saw one just like mine sell on ebay yesterday and I'll go get the link. Here it is: RCBS digital powder scale and powder dispenser - eBay (item 300430752361 end time May-31-10 19:05:34 PDT)

By the way - I apparently did something right by accident the second time I plugged it all in and calibrated everything because it was dropping very accurate charges into the scale yesterday. I loaded 40 rounds of .308 in no time. It was great. Couldn't be happier.