Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Dropped powder scale - recommend replacement?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Miller Outdoors

Dropped powder scale - recommend replacement?

This morning I dropped my Frankford Arsenal DS-750 powder scale. For $30 it was a pretty decent scale, but it had its drawbacks - namely it didn't register all weights - 43.1 grains for example, it'd go from 43.0 to 43.2 with one extra fleck of powder.

I don't really care if it's digital or the beam type - I just want accuracy to within .1 grains and be reliable.

Any recommendations under $75?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Dropped powder scale - recommend replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Outdoors View Post
This morning I dropped my Frankford Arsenal DS-750 powder scale. For $30 it was a pretty decent scale, but it had its drawbacks - namely it didn't register all weights - 43.1 grains for example, it'd go from 43.0 to 43.2 with one extra fleck of powder.

I don't really care if it's digital or the beam type - I just want accuracy to within .1 grains and be reliable.

Any recommendations under $75?
Cabelas makes/sells a good digital one that is under $75.00.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-27-2010, 05:59 AM
Miller Outdoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Cabelas makes/sells a good digital one that is under $75.00.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks for the info. Just went and searched online for it. Do you have any personal experience with it? The reviews are pretty bad with only 3.5 stars out of 5 and only 75 out of 112 customers would recommend the product to a friend.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

I'm an old electronix instruments tech, I don't "recommend" ANY electonic scale if it costs less than perhaps $7-8 hundred. Cheap digitals are first of all, CHEAP! They are made to be "throw-away" devices, not worth fixin'.

Any current beam scale will be just as accurate, more sensitive and MUCH longer lasting than any electronic gimmick sold for measuring powder. My 45 year old beam scale is as accurate and sensisitive now as the day I bought and it will likely last at least that much longer. (Try that with a digital anything!)

Pay whatever makes you comfortable for a new beam from Redding or RCBS, they all work VERY WELL. Then make a sturdy shelf, or box, to support it about chin high for easy/fast reading; seems most folks who grip about beams being slow and hard to read have them setting on the bench top and that's a poor location.

But, no sensitive scale is likely to survive the ol' "ricochet test" off the floor.

Last edited by boomtube; 05-27-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

I really like my RCBS 5-0-5 beam sacle. Its simple and accurate, and I dont have to mess with calibration wt.'s in the garage where the temp swings too much to trust a digital. I dont have personal proof of not trusting digitals in large temp swing environments, but Ive been warned by enough people that I think the theory has merrit. Ill stick with a beam scale.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

I've had a Lyman Ohaus M5 for hundreds of years. It has all of the features of the day. Some kind of fancy pivot and a magnetic damper.

It weighs a bit different than the RCBS Charge Master 1500 but both are consistent. I follow winmags advice.

I would suppose the Lyman current offering would be just a good or better.

Just a tho't.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Outdoors View Post
Thanks for the info. Just went and searched online for it. Do you have any personal experience with it? The reviews are pretty bad with only 3.5 stars out of 5 and only 75 out of 112 customers would recommend the product to a friend.
I have had very good luck with mine .

The last one that I had was a Pact and it was very finicky and did not last very long.

I have a Ohas 10 10 beam scale that is my standard go to scale because most of my old
loads were developed using this scale. I use it to verify the accuracy of the electronic
scales and the RCBs Charge master when loading ammo in volume.

I use the digital scales for weight comparisons of brass and bullets because they are very
fast compared to the beam scale.

They each have there use and I would recomend having both, but if you can only afford one
start with a GOOD beam scale. and then expand when you can.

The beam scales are more dependable (No batteries or electronics) and can be calibrated
easy and as often as you like, but they are slower.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM