Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

DPS III vs. Chargemaster 1500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Bronze Member
Originally Posted by Reloader View Post

My wife bought this one for me as a Christmas gift. She bought it from Natchez. I believe it was $254.99 plus shipping. You may want to give them a look.

Good Luck

Man that is one heck of a wife you have there! (LOL) Thanks for the heads up on the price. At one time Sportsman Warehouse had them for $249 on sale, but now they are $299.

Unread 02-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Gold Member
I have used the chargemaster since it came out and would not reload ever again with out it! I have shot multiple groups in the .2's with it and a couple in the .1's and now totally rely on it for all my reloading. Don't hesitate get one and you won't be sorry.
Unread 02-28-2008, 12:34 AM
Bronze Member
Encorguy, if your on a budget, ebay has a used chargemaster for $250 including shipping (for now)

Item number:110226814793
Unread 02-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Silver Member
I received my Chargemaster last week and dispensing 92.0 grs of powder and weighing each throw, there were zero errors meaning that they were all 92.0grs.

Yesterday I loaded 92.5 grs for my .338LM and it take about 28 secs to dispense, enough time to press in the bullet.

Am I happy? You betcha!light bulb

FWIW I got mine from Natchez, and it cost me $309.94 delivered to Canada.
Proud member of WTFDTSG Club.

Stercus Accidit.

Nice try means you suck spelled different.
Unread 02-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member
Hey Sludge,
My post wasn't meant to flame or blow anyone outta the water. Just trying to save some of my shooting "brothers" some time, effort and frustration by shedding light on the big picture. I got sick of double-checking and then re-checking my double-check. Life is too short. Let the machine do the work and go bust some caps! JohnnyK.
"The only thing necessay for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Unread 02-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Bronze Member
NP, I didnt take it as a flame and the "beating up on Sludge" comment was tounge in cheek. I wasnt clear about my concern. I really dont care if a scale is off a whole tenth of a grain or not. Just so long as it has uniform results. Now, I would like to have the scale accurate, but if I were on a deserted island and was given the choice between one that was right, but had a high SD or one that perhaps was a tenth off or so but kept the SD low... I would choose the low SD one. Now, were I to be switching scales for some reason then being calibrated differently would definately be a hinderance.

I plan on experimenting a bit more since I have the analytical scale here. One, to see if the previous results hold for a coarse extruded powder and I also think I will let the powdermaster throw the charges low, and then using the powdermaster, trickle up carefully until it trips over to the right weight. Take those to the analytical scale and see if the SD tightenes up any using that method. Just curiosities on my part. I have also thought about doing some primer testing using the analytical balance to see how much corrilation there is between weight and MV given identical loads from the same rifle. Ive read other articles on it, but not all of my questions were answered.

Hell, that Sartorius scale is a bit old. It may never go to work again for anything else other than my little anal retentive experimentation LOL

It has dispelled one myth of mine reguarding the SD of loads from the beam vs those from the digital scale. It may yet educate me further.
Unread 03-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Hey guys,

Went around to my mates place the other night with my PACT scales and dispenser to do some reloading. He phoned me to say that he had just purchased a Lyman 1200 DPS III.

So, I was very interested to see the speed difference between the two. I have an older PACT so I was not holding out any hope that it would be as fast.

Set the 2 systems up next to each other. As I was about to commence loading with Vitavohuri N550, we decided to use that powder in the test. Total weight of powder to be measured out was 70 grains.

Decided to run the test 3 times for each. The PACT recorded 40 , 45 and 47 seconds.

Then ran the DPS III. Recorded 20 , 20 & 20 seconds.

As far as accuracy goes, after loading 70grains of powder on the DPS III, I then weighed this powder on my PACT scales. Read exactly 70 grains. Likewise I re weighed the 70grain powder charge from my PACT on the DPS III. Got the exact same 70grain reading.

I found the DPS III very much to my liking. Features I liked were the auto dispense function where as soon as you put the empty powder pan on the load cell it dispenses automatically. Emptying powder out of the unit is much improved, infact I wouldn't even bother to remove the bottom of the powder hopper as its funnel shape means all the powder with the exception of a few grains is emptied out. Those few grains are easily removed with the included brush.

I am still happy with my PACT, I do like the fact that the scales are seperate, but I would definately buy a 1200 DPS III.