Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

does this factory load have too much pressure?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: does this factory load have too much pressure?

I don't see anything to worry about, I would just have a gumsmith check it out, put a firing pin spring or Tubbs/Callahan speedlock and check the protrusion, won't cost a lot.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:52 AM

Hey blacknzr1 i had a 223 that had the same issue turned out to be a tight chamber got a 1/2 thou more headspace and i was away laughing what did the gunsmith say about head space.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:38 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcharlie61 View Post
Hey blacknzr1 i had a 223 that had the same issue turned out to be a tight chamber got a 1/2 thou more headspace and i was away laughing what did the gunsmith say about head space.
well i thought my gunsmith was pretty good until i showed him the rounds. i had the gun with me in its case too. but he just said it was a hot round. he did say there was some thing in the action (cant remember what he called it) that can catch and not help feeding. he said the random round he picked up did show evidence of it. but he wasnt worried.
(the scuff mark was just above the magnum belt, running length ways. but only about 3 or 4 mm long)
but he never once mentioned head space.

i wonder.. would i expect the same problem with a more mild hornady round/case.... as in would it still be a bit tight.

i must say, i can definatly feel its a bit tight, but it doesnt really bother me much. its just the point that its like that. im kind of used to it.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

Is it just the Hornady ammo that's tight? The scuff mark is where its being pushed over the feed lip, that's normal, a tight factory round isn't. Most remingtons I've dealt with were the opposite, they had excessive headspace, some will say that if a .006" or .008" no go gauge will go in it, its still ok, which isn't horrible if you reload, but if you always shoot factory, that's a good bit for the case to have to grow.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods83 View Post
Is it just the Hornady ammo that's tight? The scuff mark is where its being pushed over the feed lip, that's normal, a tight factory round isn't. Most remingtons I've dealt with were the opposite, they had excessive headspace, some will say that if a .006" or .008" no go gauge will go in it, its still ok, which isn't horrible if you reload, but if you always shoot factory, that's a good bit for the case to have to grow.
there fine to chamber, its once its fired or gone off then when i eject it, its tight to come out.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like excessive headspace, take 2 live rounds, put 3 pieces of trimmed scotch tape on the case head of one and 4 pieces on the other, that's .006 and .008" thousands, try to chamber them, don't force them, and be extremely careful. If your not comfortable doing this, don't. Find a new gunsmith with gauges. You can also measure a factory vs fired case with a caliper if you have one.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Bronze Member

this is what the tech department at hornady said...

, looking at the pictures, I would say that the primers look good. They still have a good amount of radius at the edge of the primer. The slightly raised portion could be the result of a firing pin channel that is on the larger side. I donít think it is anything to be concerned about. Thank you