Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Does anyone make decent 7mm-08 brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

Does anyone make decent 7mm-08 brass

Bought a few hundred new Remington brass as it was all I could find. Being used to Lapua in my .243 I don't like this brass. Stretches a bunch and some of the primer pockets have quickly lost their tight fit.

I have heard guys using the 308 Lapua and running it through a 7mm-08 die. Talked to my gunsmith and he recommended against it saying issues with neck thickness consistently using this method.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Does anyone make decent 7mm-08 brass

Necking down from .308 to .284 I doubt you would have any neck thickness issues. I hate to go against the advice of your smith, but if it were me I would be getting some 308 Lapua brass and necking it down. We do this all the time with 300 win brass necked down to 7mm for the 7-300's. Same sizes and process.

Jeff
Old 09-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Fireball View Post
Bought a few hundred new Remington brass as it was all I could find. Being used to Lapua in my .243 I don't like this brass. Stretches a bunch and some of the primer pockets have quickly lost their tight fit.

I have heard guys using the 308 Lapua and running it through a 7mm-08 die. Talked to my gunsmith and he recommended against it saying issues with neck thickness consistently using this method.
I neck brass all the time and have no issues whatsoever. Get a new smith man. The only issues here are not lubing properly causing uneven stretch( on a neck up) and a tight necked chamber having issues (needing turned necks) when your brass is a bit thick necked.
The 308 to 7-08 neckdown is as simple as running the brass through a fl die and loading.
I get half of my 270 brass by necking down '06 and she's 1/2 moa with it, all of my 35 whelen brass by necking up '06 and she's moa with it, and I neck down and blow out 375 h@h brass to 7stw and they are fine with 1/2 moa capability. A good portion of my 338 win brass is actually freebee 7rem brass I was given new and decided to neck up as I only need a few hundred 7rem brass at once.
Btw, your load is too hot if you are blowing pockets with rem brass.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the input...keep it cominig guys.

So, just to make sure I understand...

You recommend:

I buy Lapua .308 brass.
Run it through my RCBS FL 7mm-08 resizing die
Measure, trim if needed.
Load for my 7mm-08 and live happily ever after with no problems.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

I have had the same issues with Reminton brass. It's junk. A Midway primer pocket tightener helped keep the primers tight. I neck down 308 Lapua brass. It comes up a little short in length but it doesn't seem to be a problem. If tight necks are a problem, Winchester brass is thinner. Also I had some Nosler 7mm08 ammo. This brass is pretty good.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt

Last edited by Greyfox; 09-05-2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Necking down from .308 to .284 I doubt you would have any neck thickness issues. I hate to go against the advice of your smith, but if it were me I would be getting some 308 Lapua brass and necking it down. We do this all the time with 300 win brass necked down to 7mm for the 7-300's. Same sizes and process.

Jeff
Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner!

I agree with Jeff, and would buy some Lapua .308 Win brass and throw it in the FL sizer die and.....VIOLA! Lapua 7mm-08 brass.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Gold Member

I'm using Norma 7-08 brass , it seems to do well . I have not used Lapua in anything yet , but I ordered some last night for another rifle .