Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Do you weight sort your boolits ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Do you weight sort your boolits ???

I am trying to get the beast out of my loads. I was wondering how many of the LR shooters here weight sort their boolits and what standard or rule of thumb should I go by ? I have Shawns reloading video and he mentions how he does it but I was curious how many of you all weight sort.

I am determined to get some good hits at long range . At this point just to get out to a 1000 and have a nice and tight group would be equivelant to taking a nice buck . YES I have the Long Range Shooting Fever!!

Thanks for looking...........
Old 07-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Do you weight sort your boolits ???

I don't
But if I shot really cheap bullets I might.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
I don't
But if I shot really cheap bullets I might.
I shoot Berger 210's
Old 07-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Silver Member

I only have used Berger .243, .257 and .264 hunting VLDs in various weights.....I have weight checked all of these and they very seldom found more than a half a grain difference....I do not weight sort them any more...

I do however length check them and batch sort them for length....base to "bore diameter" lengths are very consistent (plus or minus .002 or there abouts) but lengths may vary up to .015 in a box of 100....I sort these into Plus or minus .004 groups usually getting 3 "piles" per box (throwing out the extreme long and short ones).....However actual seating depths remain very consistent as most of the length difference is out past the seating stem towards the tip.........With a visual inspection looking straight at the tip you often can see that the "hole" in the meplat varies with the length (smaller the hole the longer the bullet).....As a result if you measure COAL the Bergers will be all over the place using the same seater setting....

As far as accuracy....I have only shot these batches to 600 yards and I see little or no difference in group sizes or POI....

Berger's manufacturing process results in very consistent weight, consistent ogive profile and base to "ogive" length.....That is the biggest reason in my opinion that they shoot so well.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Weight sort bullets???? Life is too short. I've barely got time to get to get the lawn mowed. LOL
Old 07-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNbogboy View Post
I only have used Berger .243, .257 and .264 hunting VLDs in various weights.....I have weight checked all of these and they very seldom found more than a half a grain difference....I do not weight sort them any more...

I do however length check them and batch sort them for length....base to "bore diameter" lengths are very consistent (plus or minus .002 or there abouts) but lengths may vary up to .015 in a box of 100....I sort these into Plus or minus .004 groups usually getting 3 "piles" per box (throwing out the extreme long and short ones).....However actual seating depths remain very consistent as most of the length difference is out past the seating stem towards the tip.........With a visual inspection looking straight at the tip you often can see that the "hole" in the meplat varies with the length (smaller the hole the longer the bullet).....As a result if you measure COAL the Bergers will be all over the place using the same seater setting....

As far as accuracy....I have only shot these batches to 600 yards and I see little or no difference in group sizes or POI....

Berger's manufacturing process results in very consistent weight, consistent ogive profile and base to "ogive" length.....That is the biggest reason in my opinion that they shoot so well.

Thanks for the reply......
Old 07-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

I use berger 140 vld huning bullets in my 6.5/06 and 230 otm hybrids in my 30/338. I don't sort my bullets by weight but I do randomly check 10 or so in a box of 100 just to be certain. I do sort them for Bearing surface length and load like bullets. Ymmv