Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Do you use wilson style dies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Gold Member

Do you use wilson style dies?

I am thinking about getting some wilson dies to at least use at the range for load workup. How many of you guys use them? I will be using cases at least WSM size, I know wilson won't make inline dies for wildcats is there anyone else you are using for that? It might just be easier to mount a seperate press on a board that I can clamp to a bench at the range. I do however like the inline seaters........... hummm Let me know your experiences.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Do you use wilson style dies?

Im using wilson SS 6 mm Dasher dies, they are nicely finished. For my 220AI wildcat i sent my reamer to Forster and had them make a bushing bump neck sizer and a Ultra Micrometer Seater... Harrell Precision make a Compact Loading Press.... Mag size. They use standard RCBS shell holder and clamp to a bench. pic is the finish of the wilson SS 6 mm Dasher dies
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Do you use wilson style dies?-p4290016.jpg  
Old 01-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

BLOG December 2006

Read this article about a range portable reloading bench. I can take this to matches and ranges and I have another press that just mounts to it so I can use standard 7/8x14 dies or a arbor press .

Having said that, I like Wilson and other inline seating dies for extreme accuracy setups.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

That finish is great, wish my chamber jobs were that good!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Gold Member

I got into BR 80's so learned loading at the range with Wilson dies and using Kennedy tool box. I loaded 17/18yrs with press then here this new way just take the tool box go load and I decided back then I'd start doing it with my hunting/varmint rifles shooting at the range or working up loads.

Here I am 29yrs latter still taking my tool box to the range. Wilson changed some they no longer offer FL sizer but they still sell die blanks if anyone want custom dies from the chamber reamer or ones they don't offer. Last time I looked the neck blank was $58 and seater $50.
I also have arbor dies from Neil Jones.

Biggest advantage to me is getting to make changes it can be seating depth,neck tension,change primer/bullet/powder and see the result after you do it. Guess I've been doing it so long things that don't work I don't need 5 shots to tell they won't.

I normally get 5 reloads per case if I take 10 cases that 50rds fired add 5 case that another 25rds. Once I get a load if I go to the range I'll do everything at home except seat the bullet.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Gold Member

That is sort of what I was thinking. I would take 50 primed and ready to go cases to the range and then use these dies and an arbor press to work on powder/bullet/seating depth combo's. I have to drive about 40 miles to the range I use and you hate to make up a bunch of test rounds and then end up either not finding a good combo or getting good groups with the second combo and wasting the others or pulling bullets.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylabs View Post
That is sort of what I was thinking. I would take 50 primed and ready to go cases to the range and then use these dies and an arbor press to work on powder/bullet/seating depth combo's. I have to drive about 40 miles to the range I use and you hate to make up a bunch of test rounds and then end up either not finding a good combo or getting good groups with the second combo and wasting the others or pulling bullets.
I agree with you and I think as you get use to loading at the range you find things work better than others.

Well good luck