Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Do you seat your bullet to OAL or ogive length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Bronze Member

Do you seat your bullet to OAL or ogive length

I am getting into reloading and would like to know is it better to seal the bullet to an OAL or ogive length and why? Is it necessary to sort the bullets? Primary use will be for shooting holes in paper and varmint shooing.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Do you seat your bullet to OAL or ogive length

You may not be asking the right question.

If it is a magazine gun, you normally do not have a choice.

You are limited to max magazine COAL.

If it is a single shot, you CAN go out to touching or even in the lands. This is normally measured off the ogive where it touches the lands.

In that case OAL has nothing to do with it and you use where the ogive touches as the key measurement with a comparator.

you will find down the road, that measuring off the ogive (where the bullet touches) is the more uniform measurement.

If you sort bullets with base to ogive and then measure the same bullets OAL, you can find as much as .017 variance in OAL or more.

BH
Old 02-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Most bullet noses vary too much for precise control of seating depth. But, in my rifles, I've found it's the seating depth range that's most helpfull, and that's often as much as .010" wide, not a specific point +/- nothing. Since learning that I develop my loads by the ogive readings but then load in the middle of the window by simply seating to the nose, OAL, because a few thou one way or the other doesn't matter at all.

For a variety of reasons, weighing commercial bullets is, IMHO, a waste of time. And it isn't needed with custom bullets so it's a waste of time. ??
Old 02-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

You will have to excuse my stupidity, but I went out and shot my 300RUM today for the first time, I was shooting facotry remington loads with the 180gr Scirroco's. They shot pretty good. Came home and figure I would see if I get get started on setting up a load with my bergers. At first I tried to seat my bullets to the max length, 3.600, well they would not seat. I am wondering if it was the O-give that was causing my rounds not to chamber???? I am going to be shooting 185gr bergers. Can anyone tell me if there is something here I am missing?????
Old 02-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like the resizing operation didn't go as it should have. Will the bolt close on a resized case without the powder/bullet? JohnnyK.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Silver Member

Yes it would close with just the case in the action, but just the minute I seat a bullet in the case it won't close.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:15 AM

Okay,I have a question. I'm an avid shooter an just getting started in reloading. I have a Savage 10FLCP-K chambered in .308 with a 1 in 10 twist. I'm trying to determine OAL using a marker and coloring the bullet. I have a fired, unsized case trimmed to 2.005. When I chamber a round in the case (either a hornady A-max or nosler Accu-Bond) the OAL I get is in the 2.88-2.91 range. Way over the SAAMI max of 2.81. Now, I realize that i'm measuring to to the bullet tip, not the ogive. I realize this isn't the most accurate method, however fitting in the magazine is not an issue. My magazine has enough clearance for more than 2.95. It seems like if I took these measurements (I lan on seating about .010 off the lands) the round would barely be seated in the case. What am I doing wrong? Advice?