Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

do i trust my chrono or group size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Silver Member

do i trust my chrono or group size?

this group was shot off bipod prone with my fist as a rear bag at 185 yards. its a 7mm rem with 70gr H1000 215M primers .03 off. not to bad a think. i had a group yesterday with this load that looks the exact same.

chrono yesterday read between 3030-3044 with 3040 average 14ES and 5SD between 5 shots. 2 shots duplicate and another 2 duplicate. today my chrony read the five shots between 2995 and 3058. i havent been able to shoot farther but just wondering what to go with. it will be a while before i get to shoot farther.

the chronograph is a Competition Electronics Prochrono electric.

any thoughts?
PS. the group is 1.25 horizontal not vertical. i cant get the photo to rotate.
do i trust my chrono or group size?-photo.jpg
Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Gold Member

Re: do i trust my chrono or group size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb View Post
this group was shot off bipod prone with my fist as a rear bag at 185 yards. its a 7mm rem with 70gr H1000 215M primers .03 off. not to bad a think. i had a group yesterday with this load that looks the exact same.

chrono yesterday read between 3030-3044 with 3040 average 14ES and 5SD between 5 shots. 2 shots duplicate and another 2 duplicate. today my chrony read the five shots between 2995 and 3058. i havent been able to shoot farther but just wondering what to go with. it will be a while before i get to shoot farther.

the chronograph is a Competition Electronics Prochrono electric.

any thoughts?
PS. the group is 1.25 horizontal not vertical. i cant get the photo to rotate.
Attachment 14062
I've got a Prochrono too, and I've noticed it is sensitive to light changes. Sunny, cloudy, back to sunny type of changes. The changes affect the readings.

The only way you'll truly know is to take your loads out further, or get out on a day that offers consistent light conditions. I'd be willing to bet that you have a consistent load, and that something is causing your chrono to misread.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
I' got a Prochrono too, and I've noticed it is sensitive to light changes. Sunny, cloudy, back to sunny type of changes. The changes affect the readings.

The only way you'll truly know is to take it out further, or get out on a day that offers consistent light conditions. I'd be willing to bet that you have a consistent load, and that something is causing your chrono to misread.

Second on the chrono misreads. If you're happy with the accuracy head on back 700-1000 yards and true the trajectory when you get a chance. I know not everyone has 1000 in their backyard, but it's def worth doing. If your vertical stringing is really tight at these distances then you know your load is consistent. 14ES and 5 SD is pretty awesome.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Silver Member

ya i guess the light conditions were very different. today was very overcast and -5C. i also left the diffusers on which might have also affected it. yesterday was around 5-10C and sunny with cloud cover when the shots were fired. i was pretty happy with the group. the last 2 shots were the ones on the outer edges. but thats not saying much considering the fist rest i was using haha.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Gold Member

Trust your group.. I had great groups and terrible reading on my chrono sometimes tilk I bought the m2 chrono with the inferred option and have.never looked back. I csn shoot whenever and where ever and it reads true.. Well worth the money.. But trust your groups.. Not the chrono myfriend
Old 10-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyfied View Post
Trust your group.. I had great groups and terrible reading on my chrono sometimes tilk I bought the m2 chrono with the inferred option and have.never looked back. I csn shoot whenever and where ever and it reads true.. Well worth the money.. But trust your groups.. Not the chrono myfriend
+1 you know how you shot and that paper isn't gonna lie.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-23-2012, 06:02 AM
Gold Member

I tell all my folks... the target is the final arbiter.