Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

do i need a new scale?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Gold Member

Re: do i need a new scale?

you are getting scale drfit - its normal for most electonic scales. Are you letting it warm up for teh recommended period? My brother has one and it needs to run for roughly an hour before it settles in. Even so, it will start to drift after an hour or so.

I tried one a few years back, but my garage has too much interference from nearby florescent lights and slight drafts.

My Ohaus 10-10 beam scale has never failed me.

JeffVN
Old 04-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green 788 View Post
i don't trust digital scales... they can get screwed up by radio interference, and even the hum of my florescent lights in my shop seemed to make my RCBS digital scale crazy.

Get a good beam scale... pretty foolproof for the most part.

Dan

Get rid of the hum! I hear lights doing that and it drives me totally crazy. Its the ballast in them doing it
Old 04-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

warm up is important, but not all that much if the scale is used in an area that it was stored in. Vibration will screw up readings on any scale, so you might want to watch out for that stuff. The flouresent light thing is over rated. A long time ago yes, but you also could hear the hum thru your audio system as well. So if you hear a hum thru your speakers with no music then you may well have a problem, but it's probably a ground fault loop in your house (very common by the way) Also make sure the scale sets level with the earth. I set my scales on a piece of granit I bought at Menards for four dollars. Under that I have three hard foam pucks (came in bulk CD boxes).

The Lymans are not very good in quality. The dealer I deal with quit carrying them because many wouldn't work right out of the box. The RCBS 750 is a much better one, and built in Texas. I use nothing but electronic scales, and have not owned a beam scale in close to fifteen years. No problems here
gary
Old 04-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

2 words, BEAM SCALE
the only way to go
get yourself a good beam scale. All of the reloading tool co. make them, RCBS, Lyman, LEE just to mention 3.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0rd0 View Post
2 words, BEAM SCALE
the only way to go
get yourself a good beam scale. All of the reloading tool co. make them, RCBS, Lyman, LEE just to mention 3.
anytime you want to compair a good scale to a good scale let me know. I already know who will win
gary