Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Do I need to neck turn?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Do I need to neck turn?

Lefty, thanks, I just realized that myself.

It doesn't matter if the case is several thousandths shorter than chamber length. A couple thousandths shorter necks has no noticable effect on anything.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

I've made a couple dozen chamber casts to measure the necks. As a general rule I've found the chamber neck will be about a thou larger than the diameter of a fire case.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Gold Member

took the rifle out again today. Loaded up 180 grain bergers about 20 thou off the lands starting load was 51gr. of h4831sc. Loaded up 6 rounds starting at 51 and going up in 1 grain incriments. all the fired rounds and easy bolt lift, no signs of the pressure there, the primer looked good but there were some slight ejector marks on the cases. I didnt crono them but I wish i would have being that the 53gr load 54grain load 55gr load and 56gr load all ended up shooting into a group that measured 0.330" outside to outside. I will post up some pictures when i get a chance
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 03-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 03-21-2013, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

Great package! You have enough clearance based on the dimensions you posted.

My friend Dan, a 1000 BR shooter, runs a 7 SAUM for his light gun. He is also necking down the 300 SAUM. He uses .001" clearance per side BUT he turns the necks. He also turns them every time before reloading them. With such a small amount of release he has no room for error. His rifle won best agg, tightest group and high score first time out! He shoots the 180 hybrid target.

You are running .0025" per side IF every piece of brass has the same neck thickness. There is some springback after firing. I also have a snug neck with my 7mm/375 Ruger after firing and cannot push a bullet down the neck by hand and it is running .003" clearance per side . FYI all cases were turned to .0135" to fit a .317 neck.

Did you measure every loaded round? Perhaps a few got by you that were thicker. It won't hurt performance to skim turn all cases to ensure the neck wall thicknesses are the same. I would bet there are a few that are thicker. This would also help with consistent neck release.

Perhaps there is more bearing surface on the 162 hornady match bullet than the 168 VLD causing your load to appear to be too hot. There could be other factors in your particular rifle and the reason we have to start low and observe how the individual rifle responds.

Be sure to share anything you learn as you continue to work with your new rifle.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

I don't think it matters how much clearance there is between a rimless bottleneck case neck and the chamber neck as long as the case neck's well centered on the case shoulder. Those with .005" clearance all the way around will center in the chamber neck just as perfect and repeatable as those with .001". Chamber and case body and neck diameters do not determine how well centered such cartridges align themselves in the chamber.

More important is how well centered the case neck is on the case shoulder. That's what determines how well centered the case neck is in the chamber neck. And a half thousandths spread in neck wall thickness doesn't seem to matter. Having shot sub 1/2 MOA 15-shot test groups with virgin brass with near .001" spread in wall thickness at 800 yards and further, I'm convinced there's other stuff more important to good accuracy.

If one has the tools to do so, measure the force needed to pull bullets across a batch of seated bullets in cases with different amounts of neck wall thickness. Most folks who have done this are quite surprised.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

This question may be a little bit off the subject, but what would be the minimum neck wall thickness acceptable & still be safe?