Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Do I just have a lemon or what

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 AM

Do I just have a lemon or what

Ok so I have been working on trying to find a load for my buddy's 30-378 for a elk hunt in November so far I have had no luck at all. I first tried factory rounds witch I could not get to group any better than 2in so I went got the dies and some Berger bullets at 210gr and played with what seemed like tons of COL lengths and powder charges and after a full box of 100 rounds over weeks of trils I still could not get anything under 1.5in so I then when down to my local gun shop picked up more H1000 and was talked into trying the noslor partitions and agen still no luck they were a little better than factory but still only a little better than 2in... So now that I'm down to 32days befor the hunt I'm going to try one more time what would everyone suggest now I may be way off but I was thinking the Berger 230gr hybrids the barns triple shock or the noslor Accu bond in 200gr now my gun is a factory weatherby Accumark with a 1in10 twist barrel .... Thanks any advice is welcome !
Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Do I just have a lemon or what

1-10 twist might be a little fast for a heavier 30 caliber bullet. Check your manuals and see what twist rates were used for the test guns. Or call some of the bullet manufacturers and ask for guidance. I had to do that with 6.5 that has very s-l-o-w 1-7 when trying to get 120gr bullets to shoot.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Gold Member

Does it throw them all over the paper right from the get go even with a cold barrel or will it give you 2 close then as it heats up they start spraying all over the place???
Old 09-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

when you go to the range, do you shoot 3-5 shot strings or shoot 1 wait 5-10min
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

the free bore on the wby might be to much for the berger try a nosleror other bullet and see if it is the same effect.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 PM

Ya right from the start it's all over the map and in our range we have 15min to shoot so I was shooting 2 shots per 15 min but ya seems like most think I might be better off with the noslers so I might try that
Old 09-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemorialRifle View Post
... now my gun is a factory weatherby Accumark with a 1in10 twist barrel ...
If anything, this twist rate should be helping you. A 1 in 10 twist would suit these heavier (longer) projectiles. If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say your problem was free bore related. How did you determine your COAL?