Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Do Berger bullets require a different reloading style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

Do Berger bullets require a different reloading style

I started playing around yesterday with some once fired cases. I will tell you that I am not all that smart when it comes to reloading, I am the grasshopper here, I could not get a dummy load to chamber in my Remington Sendero 300 RUM. I even tried seating the bullets "berger 185gr" to the same depth as some factory remington ammo and they would not chamber. Then I tried again this morning and reset my full length resizer die in the press and went to run a case up in there and whamo stuck the case bigger then you know what ***** Can't get it would and cabelas does not have the stuck case remover and can't get it to move, so I bought a new set of die's. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong here??????? Please

Chuck

It was a cold morning and could the die have shrunk???? causing the case to stick????
Old 02-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Do Berger bullets require a different reloading style

Can we assume you lubed the brass before running it up the die?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Chuck,

Hmmmmmm......

Will a resized or unresized fired case chamber?

When mine stick similar to yours the base has increased in size a bit.

To remove the stuck case, VERY carefully run a cleaning rod from the muzzle. Mark where the end of the muzzle is on the rod when fully inserted. Then tape an inch on both sides of the muzzle mark.

I flat hate to do this and and have only had to do this maybe twice in 40 years.

Something to keep in mind is that overall cartridge length from tip of point to base of cartridge is necessary for magazine fit only.

From Ogive to base of cartridge is better for chambering purposes.

Take a resized case and using a dremel cutter cut two slots opposite one another from from case mouth to shoulder. Work a bullet into it to loosen it so that when chambered the bullet will touch the leade AND be removed when the cartridge is extracted.

If it sticks in the barrel, drop a smaller caliber bullet down the muzzle to remove it. A 22cal 55 gr usually does the trick for me.

The end result will be that you have a dummy round with an overall length that touches the lead/rifling. This is a good starting point for the bergers. Then turn the seating die rod in a portion of a turn and check accuracy.

Another thought is that dummy round is stuck at the neck. This is unlikely but possible. You should be able to see where it was sticking after it has been removed.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

I don't understand how this relates to a brand of bullets...
Old 02-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Silver Member

Yes the case was lubed before I tried to resize it. I am using the Hornady one shot case lube. I reloaded nosler accubonds for my wifes 300SAUM and never had this kinda problems. But hopefully my father inlaw can help me figure it out tomorrow. Am too frustrated to continue
Old 02-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Bronze Member

I was starting with the most obvious cause Grasshopper

I still think you have a lack of lube issue, I've heard the complaint of stuck cases from others using spray lubes.

I use Imperial sizing die wax and have never stuck a case. I too load the 300 RUM. Maybe try spreading the lube with your fingers to make sure you have complete coverage. There's alot less surface area to cause friction on a 300 saum.

As for your other problem was this brass fired in your chamber? If it came out it should go back in with no issues, try chambering an unsized, unloaded piece of brass.

Last edited by cedarswamp1; 02-22-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

I don't use it so I really don't know but I believe I have read somewhere that with the one shot spray on stuff or the like that there is a wait period before you can run your brass thru the die. If it was a chilly morning maybe that had something to do with the wait time.